Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "jdouglas@scopicmedia.com" <jd...@scopicmedia.com> on 2004/01/10 05:57:36 UTC

[users@httpd] access log doesn't log

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I have two VirtualHosts configured thusly (domain names and IPs
changed):

<VirtualHost 256.256.256.113>
	ServerAdmin jdouglas@scopicmedia.com
	DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/html/sites/somesite.net
	ServerName www.somesite.net
	ServerAlias somesite.net
	ErrorLog
/usr/local/apache/html/sites/somesite.net/logs/somesite.net.error.log
	TransferLog
/usr/local/apache/html/sites/somesite.net/logs/somesite.net.access.log
	# ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/apache/sites/somesite.net/cgi-bin
	<Directory "/usr/local/apache/html/sites/somesite.net">
		Options Includes ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
		AllowOverride All
		Order allow,deny
		Allow from all
	</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 256.256.256.113>
	ServerAdmin jdouglas@scopicmedia.com
	DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/html/sites/othersite.org
	ServerName www.othersite.net
	ServerAlias othersite.org
	ErrorLog
/usr/local/apache/html/sites/othersite.org/logs/othersite.org.error.log
	TransferLog
/usr/local/apache/html/sites/othersite.org/logs/othersite.org.access.log
	<Directory "/usr/local/apache/html/sites/othersite.org">
		Options Includes ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
		AllowOverride All
		Order allow,deny
		Allow from all
	</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The problem is that the TransferLog for othersite.org doesn't seem to be
logging anything. There are the regular types of entries (file does not
exist, etc) in the ErrorLog, but nothing in the TransferLog. This is
especially strange because somesite.net is configured the exact same
way, and it is working fine.

What are the possible causes of this behaviour, and what steps can I
take to correct it?

Thanks!

--
Jason Douglas
Web Application Developer

[users@httpd] Re: access log doesn't log

Posted by "jdouglas@scopicmedia.com" <jd...@scopicmedia.com>.
> The problem is that the TransferLog for othersite.org doesn't seem to be
> logging anything. There are the regular types of entries (file does not
> exist, etc) in the ErrorLog, but nothing in the TransferLog. This is
> especially strange because somesite.net is configured the exact same
> way, and it is working fine.

I got it figured... seems even though I was restarting the service,
there was a httpd process that would not let go. After I manually killed
all the httpd processes and then restarted httpd, it started logging
properly. Still strange that the errorlog worked and the transferlog
didn't as i added them at the same time!