Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jan Vissers <Ja...@cumquat.nl> on 2006/08/10 08:01:06 UTC

Maven 2.0.4 - multi module reporting

I'm evaluating maven 2.0.4 and am wondering what the current 'state' is
for multi module reporting. I've read that there are various issues with
it. What I like to know is:

* does multi module reporting (aggregation) work for:
         - surefire
         - checkstyle
         - jdepend
         - javancss
         - cobertura
         - pmd
         - jxr

* what are potential issues that I might have when performing reports on
multi module projects?

Thanks.

Re: Maven 2.0.4 - multi module reporting

Posted by Lee Meador <le...@leemeador.com>.
I know that you can aggregate the jxr reports across all the children
projects of one parent.

Last time I tried the JavaDocs aggregation almost worked but ultimately
failed due to failure to set up the classpath correctly.

I'm pretty sure cobertura doesn't aggregate yet. I could be wrong.

Someone else will have to comment on your other plugins.

-- Lee

On 8/10/06, Jan Vissers <Ja...@cumquat.nl> wrote:

> I'm evaluating maven 2.0.4 and am wondering what the current 'state' is
> for multi module reporting. I've read that there are various issues with
> it. What I like to know is:
>
> * does multi module reporting (aggregation) work for:
>          - surefire
>          - checkstyle
>          - jdepend
>          - javancss
>          - cobertura
>          - pmd
>          - jxr
>

> * what are potential issues that I might have when performing reports on
> multi module projects?
>
> Thanks.

-- Lee Meador
Sent from gmail. My real email address is lee@leemeador.com

Re: Maven 2.0.4 - multi module reporting

Posted by Jan Vissers <Ja...@cumquat.nl>.
Well... this has been a journey, which appears to have become a deception.
My conclusions after a day trying to figure the reporting (surefire,
checkstyle, jdepend, javancss,
cobertua, pmd, jxr, changes, changelog) are:

   * multi-module reporting 'out-of-the-box' isn't behaving properly,
         the module links don't show up, so there is no easy way to
         navigate to these locations - where in fact several reports have
         been generated.

   * trying to overcome this issue by setting a staging area for the site,
         only results in several aggregation reports (javadoc/jxr) not being
         populated correctly.

   * report aggregation for multi-module projects is a pain in the ...
         various reports use different ways, to (try) to set aggregation
         only a few actually manage to succeed. In my opinion report
         aggregation for multi-module projects should work straight away.
         Looks like PMD reporting has got the basic idea, in that it
searches
         for modules for aggregation are automatically performed - but
         maven's behavior gets in the way.

I'll be continuing my tests for maven 2.0.4, next time for basic building
specifics like; install, package, deploy, release.

If anybody has some more information about the multi module reporting status
and how (soon) things will get better - I would definitely like to know!

Thanks,
Jan.