Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Zing <zi...@fastmail.fm> on 2007/08/17 14:56:00 UTC

"svn info" to older servers returns nothing

When you query older servers for info, the root of the repository returns
an empty response.  Querying subdirectories though, seems to work ok.

I have two ways to reproduce.  The easy and first way is the samba repo:

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.4.3 (r23084)
   compiled Mar 23 2007, 09:29:55

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

$ svn info svn://svnanon.samba.org/samba
$ echo $?
0
$ svn info svn://svnanon.samba.org/samba/trunk
Repository Root: svn://svnanon.samba.org/samba
Repository UUID: 0c0555d6-39d7-0310-84fc-f1cc0bd64818
Revision: 24525
Node Kind: directory
Last Changed Author: jerry
Last Changed Rev: 17040
Last Changed Date: 2006-07-14 18:07:19 -0400 (Fri, 14 Jul 2006)

The second way, I setup a test repo with 1.1.4 on a older machine i had
and queried that through svn+ssh:

====== from serverold =======
$ svnadmin --version
svnadmin, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
   compiled Apr 12 2005, 16:01:59

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).
=============================

$ svn info svn+ssh://serverold/home/zing/trash/testrepo
$ echo $?
0
$ svn info svn+ssh://serverold/home/zing/trash/testrepo/blah
Repository Root: svn+ssh://serverold/home/zing/trash/testrepo
Repository UUID: af80706b-e537-0410-8256-8d003478f07b
Revision: 1
Node Kind: directory
Last Changed Author: zing
Last Changed Rev: 1
Last Changed Date: 2007-08-17 10:04:59 -0400 (Fri, 17 Aug 2007)

See also:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=64506
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=69143

thanks

Re: "svn info" to older servers returns nothing

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:56:00AM -0400, Zing wrote:
> When you query older servers for info, the root of the repository returns
> an empty response.  Querying subdirectories though, seems to work ok.
>
> I have two ways to reproduce.  The easy and first way is the samba repo:
>
> $ svn info svn://svnanon.samba.org/samba
> $ echo $?

Thanks for the report.  In a sense, this was expected behaviour: older
(pre-1.2) versions of svnserve don't provide any way to retrieve
information about the repository root.

Because of this, the current code does nothing for requests for the root
so that recursive queries (svn info -R svn://...) will continue to work.
This isn't very friendly for non-recursive queries, as you've found, and,
unfortunately, there was also a bug in that code that prevented the
recursion from working anyway.

I've changed the behaviour for non-recursive queries to return an
explicit error message, and fixed the recursive version.  The fix will
be included in Subversion 1.5.0, and I've also nominated it for the next
bugfix release in the 1.4 series.

Regards,
Malcolm