Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dieter Schmidt <di...@visualmusix.com> on 2006/05/04 17:49:49 UTC

Crashing Tomcat 4.1 on Debain

Hello all,

I am fighting the whole day log against Tomcat 4.1 and can't get it
started.
I'm running a debian system Kernel 2.4.27-2-686-smp  sarge on an Intel
Dual Xeon. Tomcat is needed as basis for the Installation of OpenNMS, so
I followed the the installation manual of OpenNMS at
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=23937&group_id=4141#N100BA.

On my blank system I installed  via apt-get
 java-common,
sun-jdk.14-installer and build  an jdk1.4.2_10.deb-packet with
build-sun-jdk14.
After installing the JDK I made an apt-get tomcat4 and everything went fine.
(btw: $JAVA_HOME is set correctly to /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4/)

I called the /etc/init.d/tomcat start an just for a second in ps output
I can see:
tomcat4  19995  0.0  0.0  6152 1452 pts/1    S    17:36   0:00
/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /var/lib/tomcat4/logs/catalina_%F.log 86400
tomcat4  20002  0.0  0.1 271304 3716 pts/1   R    17:36   0:00
/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx128M
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat4/common/endorsed -classpath
/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4/lib/tools.jar:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4/jre//lib/jcert.jar:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4/jre//lib/jnet.jar:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4/jre//lib/jsse.jar:/usr/share/tomcat4/bin/bootstrap.jar
-Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy==/var/lib/tomcat4/conf/catalina.policy
-Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat4 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat4
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/tomcat4/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

The 2nd process (i think ist the server,right?) dies without any notice
in the logs.
<--- logfile content -->
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:499)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:2178)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:494)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:350)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:129)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:156)
<--- --->
 I also tried to start the Server by running
/usr/share/tomcat4/bin/catalina.sh start. or startup.sh both way only
produce a
root     20932  0.0  0.0  2312 1104 pts/1    S    17:41   0:00 /bin/sh
/usr/share/tomcat4/bin/catalina.sh start
but no ports are opened nether 8080 nor 8180.

What's going wrong? What am I doing wrong?
Please help!

Re: Crashing Tomcat 4.1 on Debain

Posted by Min Huang <mh...@minformix.org>.
I didn't notice that I had the wrong topic in my email.
My sincerest apologies!

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
Min,

Posted by Dieter Schmidt <di...@visualmusix.com>.
Leon Rosenberg schrieb:
> I think the easiest way is to throw away the packages and download and
> install a CLEAN jdk from sun and a tar.gz-iped tomcat version from
> tomcat.apache.org.
>
> I also use debian (etch) and everything java-related in debian
> packages is simply sick.... :-)
>
> regards
> Leon
>
> P.S. Of course you could try to fix the packages, but is it worth
> trying? You don't want your tomcat to be updated by apt-get upgrade do
> you?
Hi Leon,

thanks for you tip. I installed all packages by apt-get renamed the
directories and put there the new libraries from Sun and Apache. Now
tomcat works.
The last thing I need now is a working server.xml for OpenNMS.

Thanks a lot. (an the java packages are sich.)

grtx
Dieter

Re: Crashing Tomcat 4.1 on Debain

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by bossert <o....@gmail.com>.
Yoo,

Please specify your problem..... how are you trying to start tomcat?

Greetings O.

Posted by Gustavo Noronha <gu...@gmail.com>.