Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Halfmann, Klaus" <Kl...@bauer-partner.com> on 2002/03/07 09:19:08 UTC

WebDAV as _part_ of Web-Application

This is a repost of a message posted to tomcat-user
(which I now think was the wrong place) Im not used
to slide (by now) but may have a look at it theese
days.

We use the standard catalina WebDav servlet to show
parts of the internal structures
of our application as a file system. To do so we are
currently forced to move all our classes into
tomcat/commnon/lib resp. /classes. So our WebDav Servlet
and the Applciation can share theire data. This ruins
the Classloadaer ideas of tomcat (4.0.1) so that we
eventually cannot deploy other applications.

To allow normal deployment of our application again I
think about the following approach.

  * patch the tomcat DefaultServlet so that a "subdirectory"
    of an application can be a WebDav Servlet.
    I.E. part of global web.xml:

   <servlet>
    <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>....PatchedDefaultServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>forwardWebDAV</param-name>
      <param-value>true</param-value>
    </init-param>

  * Our Application could than map its (interal) WebDAV Servlet
     to a path inside the Application.

  So accessing http://host/app/index.html works as usual
  but http://host/app/webdav can be used as WebDAV area.
  Application and WebDAV Servlet can share data but other
  applications are not involved at all.

  We are looking for a common standard to hook into _any_
  (Java based) WebDAV Server, but I think there is no such
  thing.

  Does the slide WebDav Servlet work _inside_ a WebApplication ?

Thanks for any help.

   |         Business Operation Systems GmbH
   |  _
 / | / \ \   Klaus Halfmann,  Dipl. Inform.
 \       /   klaus.halfmann@bauer-partner.com