Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Subra A Narayanan <as...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/14 22:39:02 UTC

Large Attachment support in Axis2/C

Hello folks,

My webservice receives/sends attachments from/to clients using Axis2/C MTOM.
Today we noticed that when a client was trying to send a 1.3 MB file, the
server only received about 1/2 of it (around 760 KB)
I was reading the MTOM guide

=> http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/mtom-guide.html#41

Under advanced topics, it talks about  file caching for large files  in
Axis2/Java. Is similar kind of support  available in Axis2/C as well?  I
looked at the axis2.xml file and there is nothing in there.

The application I am working on requires to support the sending and
receiving of very large files.

As usual thanks  for all the help!

Subra

Re: Large Attachment support in Axis2/C

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Subra A Narayanan wrote:
> Thanks Samisa....do let me know what you find out with your tests?
I too found that there were problems with large attachments when using
Apache module.
However, the good news is that I was able to fix that. I have committed
the fix to svn. Please test with a fresh checkout.

Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by Subra A Narayanan <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Subra A Narayanan <as...@gmail.com>.
Samisa,

One more thing that I noticed today was that the web server where my service
is running becomes non-responsive when it is receiving an attachment. I
should let you know that for the time being, i am using my laptop as the web
server. i am running 64 bit linux using VM ware virtual machine on windows
xp professional. Is there any way I can change axis2/apache settings so as
to improve the performance?

Also is there any recommended limit on attachment size in Axis2/C since
caching is not available yet? I was easily able to transmit a 3.5 MB file
but when I tried a 5 MB file, the server recvd only a part of the file about
2.8 MB.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Subra

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Subra A Narayanan wrote:
> Do you have an approximate idea as to when you will be implementing
> attachment caching support in Axis2/C? That would be a great feature
> to have and it will greatly help my development efforts. Do you want
> me to create a JIRA issue so that this gets prioritized?
First of all, we need to figure out how to support this feature of
caching. I will look into the Java implementation and see how they do
that. Right now, it is hard to tell how much time it would take,
probably not by the time of 1.1. But since this is an important feature,
we must implement it. Please raise a Jira, so that we can keep track of
the issue.

> How do I tell if the client is using chunking or not? Just by looking
> at the HTTP headers?
Yes.
> I will do that once I get to work today. My client is also written in
> Axis2/C. Is there a way to explicitly turn chunking on/off?
Our Axis2/C client does not use chinking. Often the problem happens when
using Java clients, they by default use chinking.
If you are using Axis2/C client and get the server receiving only part
of it, that could be due to a bug somewhere. That needs further
investigation.

Samisa...

Posted by Subra A Narayanan <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.