Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2004/04/10 22:23:37 UTC

xdoc plugin change proposal

Hi xdoc plugin maintainers,

I'm slowly moving the Cactus project to Maven. There's a feature we have
in Cactus for xdoc that I'd like to implement in the Maven xdoc plugin.
It's the notion of sitemap.

It works as follows:

- a sitemap.xml file, containing entries. Ex:

<sitemap>

  <resource id="build_result" target="participating/build_result.html"
      name="Nightly Build Results">
    Aggregated links to the results of the nightly builds.
  </resource>

  <external id="ant" url="http://ant.apache.org/"/>
[...]

There can be 2 types of resources: internal resources and external
resources.

- in the xdoc files you can reference a sitemap resource in the
following way:

For an internal resource: <a href="site:build_result">[...]
For an external resource: <a href="ext:ant">[...]

I'd like to add this feature. It would be optional of course and will be
completely backward compatible with the existing xdoc format.

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: xdoc plugin change proposal

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 13:59, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Note that the validate link feature is not the feature I'm proposing to
> add. This won't be added as it already exists in Maven. The feature I'm
> proposing is the link by id stuff from my previous mail.
>
> As for waiting for feedback, yes sure! This is the reason I've sent an
> email on the mailing list instead of just making the change... :-) I
> wanted to know how others felt and whether they view this as useful too.
>
> WRT the java xdoc plugin it all depends on the timeframe. Will it be
> integrated in Maven 1.0 rc3? Or can it only work on Maven2?

The new xdoc stuff is a set of pojos that can be used from maven 1 or 2.
The main advantage being that the new xdoc stuff is 30k, it's deadly
fast and grants access to values in the POM and I'm currently adding
macros which might be something that could work for your sitemap
request. A simple macro could provide links via something like:
{link:id} or something like that.

Even if you implement something in the jelly plugin, I can still keep
the new xdoc stuff up-to-date, we just need to work out the details of
what you would like. I can most likely get a version of the new xdoc
plugin working for maven1 in short order.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

RE: xdoc plugin change proposal

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

However

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 02:46, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Yes.
>
> In Cactus land we also use the sitemap to validate all links. However
> this feature is not required in Maven land as we already have the
> linkcheck plugin.

Ok, this is something I would prefer that we find a solution for for the
whole shebang if the xdoc plugin is going to change like that. I have a

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Navigation is currently for menus. Sitemap is there to lists all site
links (and potentially resources). On the Cactus project we also have
documentation reference ids from the sitemap.xml file. For example:

<navigation title="Running Tests" index="howto_runner">

[...]

  <menu label="Integrations">
    <item id="integration_manual" label="Manual"/>
    <item id="integration_ant" label="Ant"/>

Where id and index are referencing resource ids. Label allows to
override the default label found in sitemap.xml.

As an additional benefit, the sitemap.xml file allows to generate a
sitemap.html file giving a sitemap of the site. For example:
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/sitemap.html

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.