Posted to general@james.apache.org by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com> on 2004/01/30 23:52:56 UTC

James SVN (was RE: Sieve needs a home!)

As far as SVN is concerned, we have a blank canvas. We can layout James and
its sub-projects in the repository as we see fit.

Looking at the SVN deployments so far, such as Jakarta Commons, the
structure is...

/project/subproject/trunk
/project/subproject/branches
/project/subproject/tags

For a James sub-project such as jSieve, we would therefore have...

/James/jSieve/trunk
/James/jSieve/branches
/James/jSieve/tags

If this is correct, I will mimic and test this locally and then produce an
SVN dump file which can be loaded into the Apache SVN.

-- Steve

RE: James SVN (was RE: Sieve needs a home!)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Steve,

> As far as SVN is concerned, we have a blank canvas. We can layout
> James and its sub-projects in the repository as we see fit.

Yes.

> /project/subproject/trunk
> /project/subproject/branches
> /project/subproject/tags

Each separately versionable/releasable component has its own trunk, branches
and tags.  Anything below that level is tied with its peers.

> /James/jSieve/trunk
> /James/jSieve/branches
> /James/jSieve/tags

Yes, and /james/server/[trunk/,branches/,tags/].  And if we decided to
decouple the Mailet API, we could do an svn mv to create
/james/mailet/[...].  The point being that if we want to re-organize in the
future, we can.

> If this is correct, I will mimic and test this locally and then produce
> an SVN dump file which can be loaded into the Apache SVN.

I'm cc'ing infrastructure to make sure from the SVN folks (Greg, Sander,
Justin, et al) are aware, and can provide input on how to import the code.
I don't know that you need to produce an SVN dump unless you are starting
from cvs2svn, but I will leave that to them.

	--- Noel