Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> on 2011/01/03 18:51:41 UTC

Apache Software Foundation response to recent WANdisco statements.

Due to some recent press releases and blog posts by WANdisco, Inc, the
Apache Software Foundation has felt it necessary to post a response:

  https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/apache_subversion_to_wandisco_1

It basically clarifies that WANdisco participates in Subversion
development the same way any other company does (by funding developers),
and that WANdisco is *not* in some kind of official steering position in
the Subversion project, whatever their statements might seem to imply.

Needless to say, none of this affects the participation of WANdisco
developers in the Subversion project in any way: they remain valued
contributors, and their technical work will be treated with the same
respect it always has been, regardless of what the marketing side of the
company may slip into!

Best,
-Karl Fogel
 ASF Member (Subversion PMC)

Re: Apache Software Foundation response to recent WANdisco statements.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:

> There have also been reactions by individuals in the community,
> for instance by Ben-Collins Sussman
> http://blog.red-bean.com/sussman/?p=475
> and Mark Phippard
> http://markphip.blogspot.com/2011/01/open-letter-to-wandisco.html
>
> Many thanks to all involved in drafting the offical response for the
> ASF blog and keeping a cool head about this.
>
> Stefan

Quoting from the article:

    WANdisco states that this work will commence immediately following
the Subversion 1.7 release (where WANdisco's Subversion development
team are the major contributors) and is slated for completion in 2011.

Whether this means we have anything to worry about WANdisco upgrading
it into confusion depends on when you think the release date for 1.7
will be, and whether anyone will use it in the next 5 years. (I'm
still having a lot of trouble getting clients to upgrade from 1.4.x.)

Re: Apache Software Foundation response to recent WANdisco statements.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.