Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stuart Smith <st...@yahoo.com> on 2011/12/19 10:32:39 UTC

ubuntu pulling sun java (cross-posting from hbase, hope it's OK!)

Hello,
  Ubuntu is currently pulling the sun java plugin from ubuntu, and will be pulling all sun java packages from partner archives, replacing the current packages with empty ones. They have stated this will break all packages depending on Sun Java:

https://lwn.net/Articles/472466/

Thought I'd give a heads up to the list, and ask about solutions.
I've used openjdk with hadoop before, but shifted to sun java as recommended.

How bad is openjdk with hadoop? It seemed OK when I used it. I even accidently left one node with openjdk for a long time, and the rest with Sun, and it was fine.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

(I'll cross-post on hbase user, hopefully ppl don't get mad!)

Take care,
  -stu