Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "David P. Donahue" <dd...@ccs.neu.edu> on 2004/09/15 17:01:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Before I get into the details of my problem, let me specify that it is
my belief that the Apache software (version 1.3.31) is _not_ at fault
for this and I am just looking to either: 1) confirm that and look for
solutions elsewhere; or 2) be proven wrong and hopefully solve the
problem here and now.

The Scenario:
  I have a simple website with a bunch of static files that is in place
for no other reason than to test connectivity and other issues before I
work on the new site(s).  For the curious, this site is located at
http://www.cyber0ne.com and, keep in mind, a lot of the functionality of
the site itself is broken and it's a crappy old site from when I was in
college.

The Symptoms:
  Browse to the site from the localhost (0 hops): no problems.
  Browse to the site from LAN hosts (1 hop): no problems.
  Browse to the site from hosts in the general metropolitan vecinity
(few hops): no problems.
  Browse to the site from across the country (many hops): strange
problems seen.
    Requests are sent to the server, noted in its logs, responded to as
usual.  However, only responses (just simple GET requests for static
files here) with fewer than approximately 1250 bytes are received by the
client.  Server logs show nothing out of the ordinary, but responses
greater than approximately 1250 bytes are never received by the client
and time out.

The Question(s):
  Has anyone seen anything like this before?
  Can you think of _anything_ in Apache which may result in such
behavior?
  Can you, from wherever you are, access the site? (The root index page
exceeds the 1250-ish-byte limitation so, if you can see that, you should
be good.)

Re: [users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Posted by Alexander Stoll <te...@gmx.de>.
suomi schrieb:

> a partial solution was that i set the MTU on all interfaces of our
> servers to 1468 (normally 1500), which was the maximum MTU supported
> by the backup network of the ISP.
It is a full solution if the lowest MTU/MRU of a link without proper
PMTU discovery is known. The only impact is reduced performance since
you need more packets for the same amount of transfered data...

> if you are in the same troubles: try to detect the maximum MTU of the
>  ISP in question and set your servers to that value. remember
> however, that this is a partial solution ownly, because if one of
> your customers uploads a file to your server with MTUs larger than
> the maximum, he will fail all the same.
This is not true! When the interface MTU of the server is lowered
appropriate, all TCP traffic is save, because in the 3-way TCP-Handshake
the server never negotiates a higher MTU than the the lowest of both
partners, so even a client with usual MTU of 1500 can safely connect and
transfer any amount of data.
Things got stuck when on a transfer net a lower MTU is needed and the
border router is denied to send ICMP FN packets, mostly for a false
sense of security countermeasures.
Again: Providers with those braindead configurations (even non RFC
compliant) should pull the plug and being told so!

Re: [users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Posted by suomi <ap...@ayni.com>.
Hi Dave
similar problem here last week:
from the internet, you can send a request to our web, but never get it
answered.
our problem: the primary line of our ISP had broken down and we went
automatically through the ISP's backup network. this backup network had
this in particular that it did not support maximum-MTU-dectection
according to rfc xyz.
a partial solution was that i set the MTU on all interfaces of our
servers to 1468 (normally 1500), which was the maximum MTU supported by
the backup network of the ISP.
if you are in the same troubles: try to detect the maximum MTU of the
ISP in question and set your servers to that value. remember however,
that this is a partial solution ownly, because if one of your customers
uploads a file to your server with MTUs larger than the maximum, he will
fail all the same.

suomi

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Quoting "David P. Donahue" <dd...@ccs.neu.edu>:

> Before I get into the details of my problem, let me specify that it is
> my belief that the Apache software (version 1.3.31) is _not_ at fault
> for this and I am just looking to either: 1) confirm that and look for
> solutions elsewhere; or 2) be proven wrong and hopefully solve the
> problem here and now.
>
> The Scenario:
>   I have a simple website with a bunch of static files that is in place
> for no other reason than to test connectivity and other issues before I
> work on the new site(s).  For the curious, this site is located at
> http://www.cyber0ne.com and, keep in mind, a lot of the functionality of
> the site itself is broken and it's a crappy old site from when I was in
> college.
>
> The Symptoms:
>   Browse to the site from the localhost (0 hops): no problems.
>   Browse to the site from LAN hosts (1 hop): no problems.
>   Browse to the site from hosts in the general metropolitan vecinity
> (few hops): no problems.
>   Browse to the site from across the country (many hops): strange
> problems seen.
>     Requests are sent to the server, noted in its logs, responded to as
> usual.  However, only responses (just simple GET requests for static
> files here) with fewer than approximately 1250 bytes are received by the
> client.  Server logs show nothing out of the ordinary, but responses
> greater than approximately 1250 bytes are never received by the client
> and time out.
>
> The Question(s):
>   Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Maybe, but not me.

>   Can you think of _anything_ in Apache which may result in such
> behavior?

If people closer to you can view the page fine, my guess would be something
wrong with an ISP further down the line.

>   Can you, from wherever you are, access the site? (The root index page
> exceeds the 1250-ish-byte limitation so, if you can see that, you should
> be good.)

Im in NY, and no, i cant view the page.

-Jim

Re: [users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Posted by Dave Floyd <da...@pa.press.net>.
> Can you, from wherever you are, access the site? (The root index page
>exceeds the 1250-ish-byte limitation so, if you can see that, you should
>be good.)

David,
	There is no problem viewing the site from London. Here is the
traceroute:

Find route from: 144.178.105.208
              to: www.cyber0ne.com (65.4.93.122), Max 30 hops, 40 byte packets
Host Names truncated to 32 bytes
  1 144.178.105.3                    (144.178.105.3  ):     7ms
0ms        0ms
  2 frost.router.press.net.          (144.178.106.15 ):     2ms
2ms        2ms
  3 e0340053-a3-0-11.ctf-18.ctf.lon. (212.161.49.177 ):   164ms
218ms       96ms
  4 g2-0.cr3.lon.ctf.lon.uk.colt.net (195.110.65.1   ):    20ms
30ms       18ms
  5 pos2-0-super-grover.lon.router.c (212.74.64.29   ):    23ms
16ms        4ms
  6 pos1-0-kenny.nyc.router.colt.net (212.74.64.174  ):    73ms
73ms       73ms
  7 ge-8-2-310.ipcolo2.newyork1.leve (63.214.53.253  ):    73ms
85ms      106ms
  8 ge-7-0-0.bbr2.newyork1.level3.ne (4.68.115.137   ):   131ms
101ms      152ms
  9 ge-7-0-0.gar4.newyork1.level3.ne (64.159.4.150   ):   159ms
171ms      112ms
10 uunet-level3-oc48.newyork1.level (209.244.160.182):   118ms
73ms       83ms
11 0.so-6-0-0.xl1.nyc4.alter.net.   (152.63.21.78   ):    73ms
75ms       73ms
12 0.so-4-0-0.tl1.nyc9.alter.net.   (152.63.0.173   ):    73ms
78ms       86ms
13 0.so-4-1-0.tl1.atl5.alter.net.   (152.63.10.129  ):    91ms
91ms       91ms
14 0.so-6-0-0.xl1.atl5.alter.net.   (152.63.10.101  ):    91ms
91ms       91ms
15 0.so-6-0-0.gw13.atl5.alter.net.  (152.63.84.105  ):   117ms
91ms      101ms
16 bellsouth-atl5-gw.customer.alter (157.130.71.170 ):    92ms
91ms      112ms
17 axr00asm-1-0-0.bellsouth.net.    (65.83.236.3    ):    94ms
107ms       95ms
18 ixc00cae-8-1-1.bellsouth.net.    (65.83.237.53   ):   108ms
99ms       99ms
19 205.152.135.81                   (205.152.135.81 ):   117ms
106ms      100ms
20 68.152.231.138                   (68.152.231.138 ):   100ms
110ms      115ms
21     *          *          *
22     *          *          *
23     *          *          *
24     *          *          *
25     *          *          *
26     *          *          *
27     *          *          *
28     *          *          *
29     *          *          *
30     *          *          *
*Maximum Hop Count Exceeded!!*

	I see a couple of the other traceroutes supplied also timed
out after the same router. This presumably means the router is just
configured to reject traces, but it lets www connections through. You
may have a problem with a blackhole configuration on one of the
routers in a particular chain?

HTH
Dave

RE: [users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Posted by "David P. Donahue" <dd...@ccs.neu.edu>.
I've seen similar behavior over telnet to port 80.  A small sample of
results is below:

GET /index.html
  Hangs until cancelled.  Note, index.html is greater than 1250 bytes.
GET /what/
  No problems.  Directory listing is fewer than 1250 bytes.
Get /what/pictures/
  No problems.  Directory listing is fewer than 1250 bytes.
Get /what/media/
  Hangs until cancelled.  Directory listing is greater than 1250 bytes.

And so on.  You'll also notice that the response to the invalid command
has fewer than 1250 bytes.

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.

Posted by Aman Raheja <ar...@techquotes.com>.
 From how many different locations / ISPs / people you have seen this

Posted by Alexander Stoll <te...@gmx.de>.
Jim Maul schrieb:

> I would just like to add that this should only have to be done on some dsl
> lines.  We had a similar problem on a dsl line that we have where
> outlook would
> refuse to send out an email if it was over a certain size (the mtu
> setting).  We
> had to go around to all workstations and change the mtu from 1500 to
> 1492.  What
> a pita.
hmm, not so easy... these days it is prefered to set the DF (don´t
fragment bit) to keep the load on the routers as low as possible... but
ANY link on the route that has a lower mtu and prohibits ICMP FN packets
causes a "blackhole" for transit packets because the TCP sessions stuck.

The problem is braindead configuration of backbone providers...

Re: [users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Jim Maul"

>> I am interested in your suggestion
>> to "lower the MTU of your server."

> We had to go around to all workstations
> and change the mtu from 1500
> to 1492.  What a pita.

I do not know what type of network
one has, but if it's Windows, perhaps
one could have done it from one
workstation or via the network logon
scripts.

Configuring the MTU for all Network Adapters
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/network/scnet128.mspx

WMI Scripting Primer
(From the online Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_wmi_overview.mspx

Google WMI Logon
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=WMI%20logon&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript&lr=&hl=en

Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.

Posted by Alexander Stoll <te...@gmx.de>.
David P. Donahue schrieb:

> Well that didn't take long...
>
> Ok, I got anxious and tried it remotely, using /sbin/ip.  And what do
> you know, it _worked_!  Further testing is required to confirm this
> enough that I'm comfortable with it, but if I could hug you right now I
> would.
>
> I'll still stay on track with my ISP to see if the problem itself can be
> fixed, but this seems to be an excellent work-around for my more
> immediate needs.  Thank you!
>

> Regards,
> David P. Donahue

You´re welcome, if you could track down the bad hop that causes this
mess, you could set a dedicated route with lower mtu for that, better
force the peering partners of the bad link to to pull the plug for that...
Since it turned out to be a fully network related issue, feel free to
continue conversation via PM and not bother the rest of the list with OT
stuff...

regards, AS

RE: [users@httpd] Narrowing Down A Strange Problem

Posted by "David P. Donahue" <dd...@ccs.neu.edu>.