Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by j k <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/03 22:43:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: mod_info loads on one server but not on the other

On Nov 30, 2007 10:45 PM, j k  wrote:

> running apache 2.0.59-r5 on two almost identical servers (both dual core
> intel cpus but not same speed) with identical config files on both.
>
> The only other difference between the two servers is that I have an extra
> kernel network  driver module built-in on the backup server that works
> correctly. I've done the same on the production server but have not yet
> rebooted it so it is running slightly different kernel.
>
> On one server mod_status, mod_info and mod_access all load but on the
> other they don't.
>  I can see this from the phpinfo() list of loaded modules for each.
>
> same conf for both:
> APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D SSL_DEFAULT_VHOST -D CGI -D PHP5 -D SSL
> -D PYTHON -D PERL -D INFO"
>
> Background:
> i'm running gentoo linux on a production server and needed to end the use
> of php4, so to stop the heart palpitations that come from rebuilding lots of
> apps at the same time on a live server, I set up a backup server and cloned
> the production server onto it. On the backup I nixed php4 and updated php5
> to the latest, restarted apache and after a few php.ini tweaks all went
> much better than I expected: few errors.
> Heartened with the trial result I  tried the same on the production server
> and everything went well except that for some reason server-status and
> server-info are no longer working, they return a 404 file not found.
> Everything else seems perfect.
>
> Here's most probably where the problem lies:
> I noticed when I restarted apache on the production server only it gives
> start-up errors:
>
> # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>
> : command not found: line 2:
>
> : command not found: line 25:
>
> : command not found: line 31:
>
> : command not found: line 34:
>
> : command not found: line 39:
>
> : command not found: line 43:
>
> : command not found: line 50:
>
>  * Stopping apache2 ...
> [ ok ]
>
>  * Starting apache2 ...
> [ ok ]
>
> can't see anything susicious in the error log in fact it's the exact same
> messages as on the one that works correctly.
>
> I looked in /etc/init.d/apache2 and can't for the life of me see what
> those lines refer to, the line numbers make no sense. I'm guessing that
> apache is not loading some part of the http.conf file, likely around about
> where it loads the modules in question.
> What's strange is that I can copy the entire /etc/apache2 folder from the
> server where it doesn't work right over to the other overwriting it's
> apache2 folder, restart apache there and everything works just fine. I don't
> get it...what's happening here?

The error messages seems to have been caused blank lines in
/etc/conf.d/apache2  Once I deleted those lines: no startup or configtest
errors...
BUT apache still does not load mod_access, mod_info and mod_status for some
reason. It used to do this before I updated PHP.

I guess that must have to do with the APACHE2_OPTS
OK that's fixed also now (gremlins)
I had changed the line from:
APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D SSL_DEFAULT_VHOST -D CGI -D PHP5CGI -D
PHP4 -D SSL -D PYTHON -D PERL -D INFO"
APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D SSL_DEFAULT_VHOST -D CGI -D PHP5 -D SSL -D
PYTHON -D PERL -D INFO"
by deleting out the php4 stuff and that seems to be what broke it (it's not
like I changed that part of the line and PERL was loading).
To fix it I cut -D INFO from the end and put it just before -D PERL and now
it works, like I say: gremlins. Who knows? And now I've put it back where it
was and it also works!
 I guess why ask why. Happy that it is working again.