Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/29 02:01:18 UTC

A change to the site code UI

I made a usability change that impacts those who update the Qpid site code.

Previously "make render" would render once to the output/ dir (so you could
look at with your browser) and once to the docs/ dir (with its URLs ready
for publication).

Now I've isolated the publish step.  Use "make render" as before to update
output/ and see the rendered content.  Once you've iterated and you're
satisfied with the changes, run "make publish".  It renders to docs/ and
finishes by printing the svn status of your docs/ dir and reminding you
that there's one more thing to do:

  https://gist.github.com/ssorj/063434d2c2acb44b8aae

The upside is that "make render", which one typically does more frequently,
is a little faster, and "make publish" does a little more to help you see
what you need to commit.

Justin

Re: A change to the site code UI

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Keith.  Thanks for finding that failure.  I've committed a fix.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/qpid/site/python/generate.py?r1=1727820&r2=1727819&pathrev=1727820

On the other question, I think that may be fair behavior for the gen-*
scripts.

In this specific instance, it's the removes in gen_books that are doing
this:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/site/scripts/gen-java-release-books

If we didn't do that, we'd be mingling the output of multiple docbook
invocations.  My feeling is that it's better to resolve that manually when
the output changes, rather than overlay multiple outputs.  It seems like
there's a very good chance that changes to a shared file would lead to
inconsistent output.

This problem shouldn't arise very often.  We only rarely change the
structure of the docbook output.

Justin

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,