Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tommy Pham <to...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/18 06:01:40 UTC

[James 3.4.0] RFC: webmail UI + control panel

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this list is the right one since my idea is toward the
users. I figure I'll probably need to subscribe to the dev later.  Any way,
I've been using Zimbra for a while now and I need to change.  It seems
sluggish to me (2 core + 6 GB RAM) for less than 5 users in addition to
very limited remote management.  James seems like a good alternative.  This
is what I've been thinking so far for the webmail UI + control panel:

   1. First startup (done in web UI)
      1. Install / upgrade
      2. Verify configurations
      3. Start the services accordingly thereafter.
   2. Configured
      1. All can login to their e-mail according to their virtual hosts
      2. All can check other IMAP/S and, maybe POP3/S, emails.
      3. Each domain would have their own database for ease of management
      and less chance of failure across all domains in case of database
      corruption or other technical issues.
      4. Each domain's admin(s) would have their own privileges to manage
      their users, group, list, etc..  It should be simple and similar to
      managing the contact lists.
      5. All admins (especially the server admin) requires 2nd key pass
      phrase (I'm thinking of sha256) to enter that mode after passing
RBAC check.
      6. Remote admin for the server should be close to 100% as much as
      possible short of server reboot and/or hardware reset.  But then
the server
      hardware already have those capabilities.  (This is why I didn't
get about
      Zimbra.  Why spend so much time developing shell scripts for admin when
      they have admin GUI).
   3. Integration
      1. spamassasin
      2. clamav
      3. Custom filter for blocking repeated offenders
      4. Scale up behind Apache's httpd for load balancing?

Thanks,
Tommy