Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Flynn <pf...@imbolc.ucc.ie> on 2000/10/16 15:24:41 UTC

Files missing from Cocoon or ApacheJServ?

Please excuse the crosspost as it's not clear where this belongs,
Cocoon or JServ.

Thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction for RPMs
to bring up Cocoon under RHL 6.2 (details at end).

Mods to httpd.conf are conflicting: it comes with ServerRoot set to /usr,
which seems to be wrong (/etc/httpd is right, but someone has moved the
logs to /var/log/httpd, so I softlinked them back to /etc/httpd as logs).

Restarting httpd gave an error that the first (and presumably all
subsequent) LoadModules failed because the file
lib/apache/mod_jserv.so was not found...I assume it was taking its
path relative to the /usr which I had changed, so I hard-coded them
all to /usr/lib/apache... and now httpd at least starts...

Installation of Cocoon itself seemed to be OK (following the Cocoon
install.html) but only up to a point:

1. wrapper.classpath was set right in jserv.properties

2. servlet.org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initArgs=properties=\
   /etc/httpd/conf/jserv/cocoon.properties was set right in
   zone.properties

3. jserv.conf said ApJServAction .xml /servlets/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
   but in the FAQ (under How come Apache is not redirecting requests
   to Cocoon?)  it says to replace the ApJServHandler directive in
   jserv.conf and replace it with the "more standard Action and
   AddHandler", which concords with install.html, so I commented out
   the ApJServHandler line and added (as install.html suggests):

   Action cocoon /servlet/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
   AddHandler cocoon xml

Here's the problem: that line says "servlet" (singular) whereas the
ApJServHandler line said "servlets" (plural). In neither case is it
clear where this directory is supposed to be (ie relative to _where_
exactly?). The only directory anywhere on my system called "servlet"
(singular) is
/usr/doc/apache-mod_ssl-JServ-1.1.2/jsdk-doc/apidoc/javax/servlet,
which it can't be cos all it contains is HTML. The only "servlets"
(plural) is /home/httpd/servlets, but all that contains is

  -rw-r--r--    1 peter    root         2028 Aug 28 16:39 IsItWorking.class
  -rw-r--r--    1 peter    root         4542 Aug 28 16:39 IsItWorking.java

which doesn't seem to be a lot of use. Something is clearly missing,
but what?

///Peter
--
For the record, Cocoon seems to require: (uninstall Apache as distributed
and installed by the RH 6.2 installer) Then add in this order

apache-devel-1.3.12-2
apache-manual-1.3.12-2
openssl-0.9.5a-1
apache-mod_ssl-1.3.12.2.6.6-1