Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Falco Schwarz <hi...@falco.me> on 2016/05/30 12:26:59 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_rewrite, scopes and inheritance

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the inheritance of RewriteRules from
different scopes. So, I have the following setup:

httpd.conf:
- several <Directory> blocks, including the following:
    <Directory /opt/www>
        AllowOverride  None
        Options        FollowSymLinks
        Require        all granted

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteOptions InheritDownBefore
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/some/very/special/path.html
        RewriteRule ^ - [END]
    </Directory>

httpd-vhosts.conf
- two vhosts, one on port 80, one on port 443
- a global RewriteRule from http to https (in the vhost using port 80)
- the DocumentRoot pointed to /opt/www

Now, I actually want that the request to the very-special-path file
will never be rewritten to https and I though by using the
RewriteOptions InheritDownBefore directive, that I could achieve that.
Yet it does not seem to work - the rule is not inherited at all. To me
it seems as a RewriteRule in a Directory block is treated differently
than a rule outside of it.

Is there any way to inherit the rule from the directory scope on
server level to a virtual host? Could this be a possible bug in the
inheritance of rules or am I missing something here?

Regards,
Falco