Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Wasim Bari <wa...@msn.com> on 2008/12/09 21:52:16 UTC

Append Algorithm

Hadoop Append (0.19) works in same way as GFS does?

GFS algorithm is below:

Application originates record append request.

2. GFS client translates request and sends it to master.

3. Master responds with chunk handle and (primary +

secondary) replica locations.

4. Client pushes write data to all locations.

Primary checks if record fits in specified chunk.

6. If record does not fit, then the primary:

. pads the chunk,

. tells secondaries to do the same,

. and informs the client.

. Client then retries the append with the nextchunk.

7. If record fits, then the primary:

. appends the record,

. tells secondaries to do the same,

. receives responses from secondaries,

. and sends final response to the client.

Re: how to re add a node

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.
ssh in, run:
cd $HADOOP_HOME
bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start tasktracker
bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode

Similarly, to stop services on an individual machine, use
'bin/hadoop-daemon.sh stop servicename'
- Aaron

how to re add a node