Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Vanfleet <va...@ugsolutions.com> on 2000/12/17 04:45:15 UTC

Tomcat vs J2EE

I'm new to Tomcat and I'm confused about something. I discovered Jakarta Tomcat and learned I could set it up with my existing apache web server to run Servelets and JavaServer pages. I then discovered the Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) and learned that Tomcat is part if this product. Could someone please explain to me the difference between these two products.

Why would I use one over the other? Are there any good websites out there that could help me to differentiate between the two? I need to develop an application server for an online training product and I need understand what tools are available.

I would appreciate any information any of you could give me.

Thanks,

David Vanfleet
vanfleet@ugsolutions.com

Re: Tomcat vs J2EE

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
David Vanfleet wrote:

> I'm new to Tomcat and I'm confused about something. I discovered Jakarta
> Tomcat and learned I could set it up with my existing apache web server to run
> Servelets and JavaServer pages. I then discovered the Java 2 Platform,
> Enterprise Edition (J2EE) and learned that Tomcat is part if this product.
> Could someone please explain to me the difference between these two
> products. Why would I use one over the other? Are there any good websites out
> there that could help me to differentiate between the two? I need to develop
> an application server for an online training product and I need understand
> what tools are available. I would appreciate any information any of you could
> give me. Thanks, David Vanfleetvanfleet@ugsolutions.com

The J2EE Reference Implementation, version 1.2, includes a modified version of
Tomcat 3.0 as its servlet/JSP component.  The next version of the J2EE Reference
Implementation, version 1.3, will include Tomcat 4.0 as its servlet/JSP
component.
(Several other J2EE or similar environments also support Tomcat for their web
layer.)

The differences between Tomcat and the J2EE RI (or any other J2EE server) are
pretty easy to understand:  Tomcat supports servlets and JSP pages only.  J2EE
servers support many additional technologies (as well as servlets and JSP
pages), including Enterprise JavaBeans, security, transaction management, a JNDI
naming service for resource access, and many more.

For more details on what J2EE-compliant application server must provide, see the
J2EE Specification at <http://java.sun.com/j2ee>.

Craig McClanahan