Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrew Teirney <an...@teirney.net> on 2005/06/27 12:08:17 UTC

Excellent Work SVN Developers

SVN Developers,

	I have been meaning to congratulate all you svn developers on a job
well done. Not only do I use subversion for version control of my source
code I also use it for versioning and updating the firmware on embedded
Linux devices.

	In this device the firmware file system tree is maintained in a svn
repository. In this particular device the firmware tree doesn't change,
the main partition is mounted as read only. Unfortunately in this case
the svn client could not be used to fetch updates as maintaining a text
base which is effectively a duplicate of the actual file was overhead we
couldn't easily afford. Instead a small utility that uses the apache
mod_dav_svn backed was written to get the necessary tree delta and then
apply this tree delta to create a the new tree was developed. This would
not have been such a simple task unless it was for the hard work all you
developers have put in, also top marks for the documentation!

	Previously i had been using rsync to distribute the firmware, however
getting past firewalls was a problem. With the ability to use http/https
to get the necessary tree-deltas it has made many headaches go away.

	I am not sure whether anyone out there would be interested in such a
utility, if there are drop me an email and i can see about getting a
version of source code available for release. The code definitely has
room for improvement, it was written in the space of around 3-4 days in
a mad panic.

	I apologize about the length of the email, just wanted to say what a
great job all you developers have been doing, and let you know the
product is awesome!

Andrew.