Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org> on 2014/04/17 11:29:29 UTC

Apache (Oracle?) JDO 3.1 release, revisited

Hi,

Back on 16th Feb I asked the question about when JDO 3.1 will finally be
released.
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-jdo-dev/201402.mbox/%3C5258035.4XLbusq06k%40rookie%3E

I didn't see a conclusive reply. We're now 2 months on, and I see nothing
happening. Does anybody have a date WHEN this is going to happen (if ever) ?

Regards
--
Andy
DataNucleus (Web: http://www.datanucleus.org   Twitter: @datanucleus)

Re: Apache (Oracle?) JDO 3.1 release, revisited

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
Hi Craig,

> Long answer:
>
> JDO falls outside the boundaries of "normal" Oracle-led JSRs. It has taken
> more time than I expected to get Oracle legal to understand that JDO is a
> different project with different licensing requirements. Mostly, Oracle is
> used to being in control of JSRs in which it has an interest.

One would argue (well I would) that Oracle DOESN'T HAVE an interest. It never
did :-P

> I have discussed with Oracle attorneys several scenarios: transferring
> Maintenance Lead responsibilities to another organization. Apparently
> transferring to Apache sounds so far-fetched as to be a non-starter. If
> there is another organization or individual willing to be Maintenance Lead,
> that might be possible. Volunteers?
> Another alternative is for JDO to leave JCP completely. This would mean
> renaming the API name space from javax.jdo to org.apache.jdo just like the
> TCK has already done. The specification license would still be problematic.
> Also, the name Java TM Data Objects would probably need to be changed.

Politics to the end :-)

> Short answer: no, there is no expected release date.

Thanks for your reply, and time taken to extract this info from the people
concerned. I appreciate how difficult that can be.

One possibility from my side is to fork it and be done with it. Yes I'd choose
a different name. Well not too different, but not one of their registered names
(do we have a complete list of what "names" are registered?).
Obviously if doing that then anyone who has contributed to it so far would be
welcome to continue participating and could have access to its GitHub repo,
and it would continue as an Apache 2 license.

Regards

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Andy,

On Apr 17, 2014, at 2:29 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Back on 16th Feb I asked the question about when JDO 3.1 will finally be
> released.
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-jdo-dev/201402.mbox/%3C5258035.4XLbusq06k%40rookie%3E
>
> I didn't see a conclusive reply. We're now 2 months on, and I see nothing
> happening. Does anybody have a date WHEN this is going to happen (if ever) ?

Long answer:

JDO falls outside the boundaries of "normal" Oracle-led JSRs. It has taken more time than I expected to get Oracle legal to understand that JDO is a different project with different licensing requirements. Mostly, Oracle is used to being in control of JSRs in which it has an interest.

I have discussed with Oracle attorneys several scenarios: transferring Maintenance Lead responsibilities to another organization. Apparently transferring to Apache sounds so far-fetched as to be a non-starter. If there is another organization or individual willing to be Maintenance Lead, that might be possible. Volunteers?

Another alternative is for JDO to leave JCP completely. This would mean renaming the API name space from javax.jdo to org.apache.jdo just like the TCK has already done. The specification license would still be problematic. Also, the name Java TM Data Objects would probably need to be changed.

Short answer: no, there is no expected release date.

Craig

> Regards
> --
> Andy