Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/31 12:54:29 UTC

JSF and ajax using phaselistener approach

Hi,

Can anyone give me links to any resources/examples on Ajax with JSF using
the PhaseListener approach. I found it on the J2EE Blueprints but they work
only with Java EE 5. I am using myfaces 1.1.4 (J2EE 1.4). Does this approach
work with that too? Please give me some links/resources.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Aneesha

Re: JSF and ajax using phaselistener approach

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Right,

shale remote and mabon are designed to invoke backingbean methods. the
pattern is similar.

regarding ajax4jsf/dynaFaces, there is also PPR stuff in Tomahawk
Sandbox (dojo based) and Trinidad (iframe based)

one more note on mabon, it provides a client-api based on dojo.

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: JSF and ajax using phaselistener approach

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 10/31/06, Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > In addition to the other references people have given, you might want to
> > look at the Remoting feature in Shale[1].  It includes a built-in phase
> > listener that tries to do all the hard stuff so you don't have to, and an
> > extensible Processor architecture so you can plug in your own processing
> > logic.
> >
> > One important factor is that Shale Remoting assumes you do *not* need
> > access to the JSF component tree for the original page (thus eliminating the
> > overhead of saving and restoring it), or even that the client be a JSF page
> > at all.
> >

> Any idea how to use shale to write a custom ajax-enabled component? It
> seems that it can work only with plain html, according to the introduction
> on their page. So to use shale and make it ajax-enabled, I need to make my
> datatable?

Many of the JSF components in the BluePrints Catalog library[1] are built
using Shale Remoting, using it for two different purposes:

* Retrieving static CSS and JS files that are embedded in the
  JAR file containing the component classes

* Mapping to an asynchronous callback handler by translating
  a portion of the URL to a method binding expression

You can grab the sources for the components to see how this was done.
Further questions about using Shale Remoting to build your own components
would best occur on the Shale user mailing list[2].

Craig

[1] http://developers.sun.com/ajax/
[2] http://shale.apache.org/mail-lists.html

Thanks,

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 11/1/06, Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com> wrote:

> Sounds painful.
>
> I really hope that a future version of the JSF spec integrates AJAX more
> directly into the framework. For now, I am seeing more ajax components
> showing up in Tomahawk/Sandbox and that at least is something.

You don't have to wait for a future version to get some relief.  In JSF 1.2,
the UIComponent.invokeOnComponent() method was added, specifically to make
AJAX integration easier, especially when you want to operate on part of the
component tree instead of all of it.  A lot of the current pain is due to
the fact that this wasn't there in 1.0/1.1.

Craig

Re: JSF and ajax using phaselistener approach

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.
Oh I agree with you Jeff. Sometimes I wish there was something as simple as
doing <h:datatable ajaxenable=true> or writing JSF component tags from
javascript in a jsf page instead of html or something. It is really painful.
I'd much rather choose ajax without JSF over this, if I could. :-(

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> read
>
> https://mabon.dev.java.net/doc/introduction.html

Ah, very interesting. Certainly seems like a cleaner alternative for
components that don't want to cause any side effects.

Craig McClanahan wrote:

> You don't have to wait for a future version to get some relief.  In JSF
> 1.2,
> the UIComponent.invokeOnComponent() method was added, specifically to make
> AJAX integration easier, especially when you want to operate on part of the
> component tree instead of all of it.  A lot of the current pain is due to
> the fact that this wasn't there in 1.0/1.1.

I just now read a bunch of articles/slides on this, mostly by Jacob
Hookom and Ed Burns. That does indeed sound neat - especially for
components like dataTable.

Even though we still have some pain using this stuff today, people are
coming up with clever solutions. Seems JSF is evolving in terms of
supporting stuff like AJAX, and hopefully the future promises even more
innovations.

Thanks for pointing these out to me guys.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
read

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I agree, more components does not make for a better spec. The place for
> neat components are libraries such as Tomahawk. The last thing I want in
> JSF 2.0 are some funky ajax-ified components, but rather more native

thanks! :) third-party is the place to go. standard JSF should be standard
html

> support for ajax across the board. I get the feeling that products like
> ajax4jsf would have a lot fewer bugs if the JSF lifecycle provided
> better hooks for what they are trying to do.

framework and api; as said.
do you know mabon ? quite interesting approach.

> By the way, I noticed that Jacob refers to you as "the great Matthias."
> Either you've been leading legions of soldiers to conquer neighboring
> countries, or you're developing quite the reputation in the JSF world.
>
> ...then again, it could be the beer talking. ;)

yeah, I think the beer. My in person i am taller. Perhaps it was that ?
:)

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
Matthias,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
Sounds painful.

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig,

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
You wanna look here

mabon.dev.java.net

that pretty much explains, why PhaseListeners can cause fun.
(no chance to "order" their execution; what happens, when other PL do
*wrong* stuff...)

Greets,
Matthias

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 10/31/06, Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well silly question but what does PPR stand for?

Sorry to throw about so many TLAs (three letter acronyms :-).  PPR ==
Partial Page Refresh.

Craig

Thanks,

Posted by Aneesha Govil <po...@gmail.com>.