Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by yaussy <ya...@cboe.com> on 2006/04/11 18:43:57 UTC

Multiple Durable Producers Question

I'll pose this as a question first, since I've made a mistake already with
regards to the JMS spec and Durable consumer behavior...

Is there any reason why you can't have multiple producer processes
publishing to the same durable topic, and be able to expect that consumers
would get all messages published (i.e. from both producer processes)?

My configuration is (AMQ RC2):
3 brokers, A, B and C
1 consumer connected to broker A
1 producer connected to broker B
1 producer connected to broker C

I start the first producer and the consumer reports receiving messages from
that producer (I put a producer name into the message for verification).
Once I start the second producer, the consumer reports receiving messages
from the second producer - but stops reporting messages from the first
producer.  A couple minutes go by, then it switches - the consumer reports
messages from the first producer, but not from the second producer.  This
flip flop continues.  At first I thought the second producer would be all
that the consumer would get, but was surprised to see the switches between
one producer and the other - I just had to wait a few minutes.

Re: Multiple Durable Producers Question

Posted by yaussy <ya...@cboe.com>.
Wow - forget it...  I must be losing my mind.  It is working with our code
just fine.  Stupid reporting error in my test code.  It is Spring or
something.

Re: Multiple Durable Producers Question

Posted by yaussy <ya...@cboe.com>.
Hmm.  Trying to reproduce this with your ConsumerTool and ProducerTool, but
unsuccessful so far.  I will work on this some more.  Maybe some issue with
our code.

Re: Multiple Durable Producers Question

Posted by yaussy <ya...@cboe.com>.
No Windows - definitely not ;-).  We are using Solaris 8 and Solaris 10 (I
think in this particular case, the three machines I'm using are all Solaris
8).

The producers are sending at a constant rate (about 10 / sec).  So, the fact
that it goes several minutes without reporting anything from one producer,
then switches over to the other, seems like there is a very strange dispatch
/ schedule issue.

Re: Multiple Durable Producers Question

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Messages from multiple producers will be interlaced as they arrive at
the broker and dispatched to the consumer in the order they've
arrived at the broker. I suspect what you are seeing is down to
threading behavior of your operating system - are you by chance using
windows ?

cheers,

Rob