Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/10 01:03:22 UTC

[reminder] Build and check the documentation when reviewing

Hi Devs,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for being more proactive about
writing documentation along with their features. Compared to previous
releases there is not so much last-minute documentation writing and that is
something to be celebrated!

That said, we are still beginning to see an influx in documentation PRs and
I would just like to remind the committers to always build the
documentation locally when reviewing non trivial changes. This practice
helps ensure any inline liquid tags or HTML properly renders. Additionally,
if new pages or links are being added you may run the
`./docs/check_links.sh` script to test for broken links. Documentation is
most users' first introduction to Flink so it is important we provide them
a pleasant experience.

Finally, if you are ever unsure how something should be phrased or
formatted please refer to the contribution guidelines or feel free to ping
me directly[1].

Cheers,

Seth

[1] https://flink.apache.org/contributing/docs-style.html

Re: [reminder] Build and check the documentation when reviewing

Posted by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks @Robert for this info.

It seems that there is some problem with the "docs_404_check". From the log we can see that the doc server wasn't started up after 5 minutes and the test just exits. Have created a ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-20069 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-20069> to track this issue.

Thanks,
Dian

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thank you Seth!

Posted by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for the reminder, Seth.

What about integrating this script in the azure pipeline? There is a "Documentation links check" in travis before: https://travis-ci.org/github/apache/flink/jobs/742553633 <https://travis-ci.org/github/apache/flink/jobs/742553633>

Posted by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com>.