Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2016/02/04 14:06:41 UTC

Including Gradle Wrapper Jar in SVN

Hi All,

For Gradle build based projects is it acceptable to include the
gradle-wrapper.jar file (along with the scripts) in Apache SVN?

More here [1].

The reason is so users wanting to build the code do not need to manually
install Gradle.

[1] https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/gradle_wrapper.html

Thanks,
Carl

RE: Including Gradle Wrapper Jar in SVN

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
GENERIC THOUGHTS

This is a generic response without consideration of the merits of the particular proposal.

 1. Normally, we are discouraged from keeping binaries (i.e., non source) in the SVN.  Now I wonder if we already have .jar files in the Source Release. (I am afraid to look [;<).

 2. It is often the case that users are expected to obtain collateral tools that may be important in building or integrating but not part of the released source.  Notice the effort going into all of the dependencies and utilities and settings that are required to make an AOO build targeted to Windows [;<).

I assume Gradle Wrapper is not meaningful as part of a binary distribution.  It is needed at a different stage.

MAYBE HELPFUL

 A. I think a safe procedure would be to have, in the SVN, README or other materials that explains where to get the Gradle Wrapper in support of Gradle build-based usage of some of the AOO sources and anything else on having that work properly.  If there is a version dependency that could be reflected in statements about what wrapper/Gradle versions have been tested and known to work.

 B. It would be conceivable to have Gradle Wrapper in the AOO Extras.  That doesn't seem to be consistent with what the Gradle folks suggest for getting and using the correct wrapper though.  Since Gradle provides pretty useful material on obtaining and using the wrapper, linking to that seems preferable.  Then their versioning can be paid attention to and there is no need to introduce an intermediary that has to be maintained.

What are your further thoughts about this, Carl?

 - Dennis