Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2020/06/25 03:58:32 UTC

Serial port Connection

Hi,
IIUIC, the connection string for Serial Modbus would be something like;

     modbus:serial:/dev/ttyS0?unit-identifier=7

assuming I want to communicate with device with address 7.

That would mean that I have one connection per device I talk to over a
single serial port. Is that correct? (Personally, I would not made the
device part of the connection abstraction, but realize that it is a bit
late for that)

Are there any issues here, regarding which connection has access to the
port, or do I need to open and close the connection on each set of messages?

Couldn't find info about this in the documentation.

The serial port page is missing information on the configuration (data,
parity, stop,...). The source code doesn't have the @ConfigurationParameter
annotations, so will they still work or do I need to add that
programmatically somehow?

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Serial port Connection

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Niclas,

Now your're borrowing my reasoning to use PLC4X over OPC UA to argument for Serial communication ... I like it ;-)
Yeah, I know that industrial hardware tends to be run a tad longer than a typical IPhone ... and I agree ... we need to get serial in shape.
I did notice with the Firmata driver that there will be issues as this is actually a serial protocol, which is stateful
(You need to configure the connection in order to use it)
Here I encountered the limitation of connection-to-port linking for the first time for which I still don't really have an answer.

>     Not sure what you mean here. ModBus/RTU has a one byte Address and a
>    Checksum, and those are dropped in Modbus/TCP and that relies on the
>    delivery/checksum of TCP/IP.

I think you initially mentioned, that we have the device-address in the connection string, which makes it necessary to connect and disconnect all the time.
My proposal was to leave that option in the connection string, but to treat it as a "default-device-address" which is used if the actual address doesn't have it (Typical TCP case) ... then we would add a second set of address types that contain an additional device-address prefix. So you could simply connect to the serial version without providing the device-address and then use the extended address format for resources and pass in the additional device-address.

That a little clearer?

Chris

Am 30.06.20, 09:12 schrieb "Niclas Hedhman" <ni...@hedhman.org>:

    On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
    wrote:

    > But can we assume that only one protocol is handled over one serial
    > interface? So not multiple Modbus devices sharing with multiple S5 devices

    So, I have never seen anyone trying multiple protocols on the same port, so
    that is a safe assumption. Even if I think there are devices that can
    auto-sense Modbus and Bacnet, I doubt anyone will ever want to do both.

    > Because in this case I guess we could refactor things a bit.

    And I totally agree that as little changes as possible should be attempted,
    so I won't suggest a rewrite, don't worry ;-)

    Perhaps to have an optional device-address on the connection level which
    > will act as a default and to extend or provide a second set of addresses,
    > that have the device-address within. So you could either use the
    > device-address together with the smaller field addresses (Mainly for TCP
    > connections) and these would inherit the default device-address or you
    > could use the bigger ones where you provide the device-address for every
    > field.

    Not sure what you mean here. ModBus/RTU has a one byte Address and a
    Checksum, and those are dropped in Modbus/TCP and that relies on the
    delivery/checksum of TCP/IP.

    > I wouldn’t want to change the naming however ... you could consider in an
    > extended serial modbus scenario (If we changed the serial part the way you
    > proposed), that the connection is from the software to the port ...Which
    > would be true. And most of the other drivers in PLC4X actually do more have
    > a Connection-oriented communication form. I guess this is due to the fact
    > that we concentrated on the SCADA-Level protocols first and now are
    > gradually stepping deeper into the fieldbus area.
    > I think only the EIP protocol is also somewhat connection-less, but S7,
    > OPC UA, AMS/ADS, ... definitely are.

    Interesting. I have very little experience "higher up" and perhaps there
    are enough reasons to make abstractions different for stateless (or packet)
    protocol vs those that are stateful. The compromise now is that stateless
    pretends to be stateful, and a cycle of "open->close" takes place, very
    much similar to HTTP/1.0 being stateless over the stateful TCP. I am not
    100% confident what is the best way forward, so I'll come back to that
    later. I think in the short term, I can survive because my current need is
    very small (reading 5-10 values from each of 3-5 devices) and it is
    hourly-relevant data.
    In the process, I will try to formulate ideas for changes...

    I know that serial comms are slowly dying out, but the amount of stuff
    already out there and lifespans of decades, it will take a while before it
    is all gone.

    // Niclas

Re: Serial port Connection

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: Serial port Connection

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

and thank you Niclas for your very detailed post.

Indeed I think you made me realize something I didn't realize till now: You can connect multiple devices to a serial Interface.
For me, from the first zero-modem-cable I welded to play command and conquer against a friend, serial interfaces were only one-to-one connections.
I guess that's why I built things the way I built them. If I had known what you now made me know, I agree at least the handling of the serial port I would have done differently.

Also I have to admit, that the serial communication option was not handled as a first-class citizen by me and probably others here as I at least only have one serial-capable PLC but I don't even have a serial to usb-c adapter (Should really get one ...) So it was always a rather theoretical construct. Also I don't recall people reporting to have used it before.

So I agree we should address your findings asap.

[...]

I know that in a case like PLC4X where we want to map all sorts of communication variants under one API, we will never get it that it's a perfect match for all protocols, especially if it's the projects goal to have one shared API.

But again ... thank you for your detailed input ... this is some very important information and it even made a lot of things clearer to me which customers in the past said and I simply didn't understand ;-)

Chris

Am 30.06.20, 06:12 schrieb "Cesar Garcia" <ce...@ceos.com.ve>:

    Hi Niclas,

    You are right on all points. I have not tested the Modbus serial driver,
    but I am very interested that it works on Multidrop connections.

    Version 0.7.0 is based on Mspec, so a proposal could be:

    1. Modify the PLCField to include the UID of the device within the frame
    from the address of the Item.

    2. The default UID must be the one inserted in the Connection String.

    3. Evaluate the queue of requests, I think the standard allows a single
    frame depending on the connection (Half / Full Duplex).

    It should not be very laborious, I can keep an eye on it.

    Here Chris can guide us if it is the way.

    Best regards,

    --
    *CEOS Automatización, C.A.*
    *GALPON SERVICIO INDUSTRIALES Y NAVALES FA, C.A.,*

    *FRENTE A LA ASOCIACION DE GANADEROS,BARCELONA,EDO. ANZOATEGUI*
    *Ing. César García*

    *Cel: +58 414-760.98.95*

    *Hotline Técnica SIEMENS: 0800 1005080*

    *Email: support.aan.automation@siemens.com