Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2022/01/04 07:25:53 UTC

limit login attempts

Hi,

I believe this question has already been asked, but I can't seem to find an answer in the docs or mailing list archives.

My Guacamole login mechanism uses LDAP (AD server). Now, I could configure the AD server to  disable user accounts after 3 login attempts.
However, I'm wondering of Guacamole itself has a way to limit user login attempts.

Regards,

Vieri

[OT] Re: limit login attempts

Posted by Piviul <pi...@riminilug.it>.
Il 05/01/22 08:28, Piviul ha scritto:
> Il 04/01/22 19:17, sam g ha scritto:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm sure I'm asking a silly question but where would be this
>> Guacamole log file where the login failed attempts are written?
>> I tried but I don't see anything in my
>> /var/log/tomcat9/*localhost_access_log*.2022-01-04.txt or in
>> /var/log/tomcat9/*localhost_access_log*.2022-01-04.txt .
>> With a "*systemctl status tomcat9*" I can see some "*WARN
>> o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - Authentication attempt from
>> a.b.c.d for user "zzzf" failed.*"
> In my debian buster guacamole logs are sent to tomcat, so I can find
> failed logs in /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out
I add that after installing fail2ban you have enable it; in my debian
buster I have added the file /etc/fail2ban/jail.d/guacamole.conf:

$ cat /etc/fail2ban/jail.d/guacamole.conf
[guacamole]
enabled = true

and then I updated the failregex to discover failed login attempt in
/etc/fail2ban/filter.d/guacamole.conf. My failregex is:
failregex = ^.*WARN  o\.a\.g\.r\.auth\.AuthenticationService -
Authentication attempt from <HOST> for user "[^"]*" failed\.$

Then look into /var/log/fail2ban.log to see if all is working as expected

Piviul

Re: limit login attempts

Posted by Piviul <pi...@riminilug.it>.

Re: limit login attempts

Posted by sam g <sa...@yahoo.fr.INVALID>.
 Hello,
I'm sure I'm asking a silly question but where would be this Guacamole log file where the login failed attempts are written?I tried but I don't see anything in my /var/log/tomcat9/localhost_access_log.2022-01-04.txt or in /var/log/tomcat9/localhost_access_log.2022-01-04.txt .
With a  "systemctl status tomcat9" I can see some " WARN  o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - Authentication attempt from a.b.c.d for user "zzzf" failed."

Thanks,Sam
    Le mardi 4 janvier 2022, 10:23:09 UTC+1, Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> a écrit :

 On Mon, Jan 3, 2022, 23:26 Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

Hi,

I believe this question has already been asked, but I can't seem to find an answer in the docs or mailing list archives.

My Guacamole login mechanism uses LDAP (AD server). Now, I could configure the AD server to  disable user accounts after 3 login attempts.
However, I'm wondering of Guacamole itself has a way to limit user login attempts.

Not within Guacamole itself, but within the Guacamole server:
If you install fail2ban and configure it to recognize the invalid login messages in the Guacamole logs, then brute-force login attempts are automatically blocked at the firewall level.
- Mike

Re: limit login attempts

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.