Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Adrian van den Dries <az...@cantanker.net> on 2001/10/05 18:13:11 UTC

IllegalAccessError on first use

Hello!

I am trying to get an instance going of tomcat 4.0 + cocoon 2.0rc1a,
which seems to me a fairly decent combination of version numbers.
Tomcat runs and installs with no problems, but I am having some trouble
getting the cocoon part working.

I am running the JDK 1.4 on Linux 2.2.14 (RH6.2).

The exception I got when trying to access /cocoon/:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: The sitemap handler's sitemap is
not available. Please check logs for the exact error.

was quite unhelpful, as I had no idea where the cocoon logs are.
Searching for '*.log' didn't turn it up, and the information I was after
was obviously not in the the tomcat logs.

Searching the web turned up that the cocoon logs are in
cocoon/WEB-INF/logs, and this is what I found there:

ERROR   (2001-10-06) 01:44.34:469   [cocoon  ] (/cocoon/)
HttpProcessor[8081][1]/Handler: Error compiling sitemap
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access class
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap$Configurer from class
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap
        at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.configure(sitemap_xmap.java:825)
        [snip unformattable traceback]

I have not been able to google a reference to this error.

Any help appreciated.

TIA.

--
Cantanker /
---------/-------------

RE: IllegalAccessError on first use

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Check also:

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/faq.html#faq-24

if you need image generation capabilities. Otherwise, wipe batik out of sitemap and lib directory.
Do not forget to clean work directory.

Vadim

Posted by Gregory Steuck <gr...@buildpoint.com>.

Posted by Adrian van den Dries <az...@cantanker.net>.
Wrote Gregory Steuck, on October  9, around  4:17am +1000:

> Are sure you started cocoon with DISPLAY variable set to point to the
> correct X server? E.g. from an xterm window.

I'm sure it was not set, because I'm installing it remotely.  I saw
nothing in the requirements about needing an X server, and if I do, then
that is just silly.

</az>

--
Cantanker /
---------/-------------

Posted by Gregory Steuck <gr...@buildpoint.com>.

Posted by Adrian van den Dries <az...@cantanker.net>.
Wrote Adrian van den Dries, on October  6, around  2:13am +1000:

I've tried various other approaches, and I am unable to reproduce the
error:

> ERROR   (2001-10-06) 01:44.34:469   [cocoon  ] (/cocoon/)
> HttpProcessor[8081][1]/Handler: Error compiling sitemap
> java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access class
> org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap$Configurer from class
> org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap
>         at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.configure(sitemap_xmap.java:825)
>         [snip unformattable traceback]

Instead, now, when first requesting /cocoon/, I get this:

ERROR   (2001-10-06) 22:27.22:161   [cocoon  ] (/cocoon/)
HttpProcessor[8080][1]/Handler: Error compiling sitemap
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0'
as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:70)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:65)
        at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.<clinit>(MToolkit.java:73)
        at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:715)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:706)
        at java.awt.SystemColor.updateSystemColors(SystemColor.java:420)
        at java.awt.SystemColor.<clinit>(SystemColor.java:412)
        at org.apache.batik.css.value.DefaultSystemColorResolver.activeBorder(DefaultSystemColorResolver.java:27)
        [....ad nauseum]

which is very odd.  Why should a server process assume there is an X
server running?

Subsequence requests to /cocoon/ instead produce the more soluble:

ERROR   (2001-10-06) 22:28.41:980   [cocoon  ] (/cocoon/)
HttpProcessor[8080][1]/Handler: Error compiling sitemap
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
        at org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SAXSVGDocumentFactory.<init>(SAXSVGDocumentFactory.java:59)
        at org.apache.cocoon.xml.dom.SVGBuilder.<init>(SVGBuilder.java:44)
        [....etc]

which I presume to be because the first request failed.

Using tomcat 4.0 and Cocoon 2.0r1a, j2sdk 1.4.0 on Linux 2.2.14 (RH6.2)

Thanks.

</az>

--
Cantanker /