Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@apache.org> on 2022/09/24 19:50:51 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache PyIceberg 0.1.0 RC2

Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone for giving it a try and for the feedback. Much appreciated! I'm
canceling RC1 because the version of the package itself was tagged with
RC1. This doesn't allow us to release the code as is since we would have to
remove the RC postfix.

Other things to make the release smoother:

   - Include the Makefile to the source distribution to make the reviewing
   easier (see new commands below).
   - Include NOTICE to the source distribution.
   - Include a license checker in the source distribution to easily check
   the licenses.
   - Fixed the path in the checksum, so we can use shasum -c (see below).

I propose that we release the following RC as the official PyIceberg 0.1.0
release.

The commit ID is 83e3ab0b9fb57890d63130499e84c55b91fc0c17

   - This corresponds to the tag: pyiceberg-0.1.0rc2
   (289b4737d772260d7967c028bbb3f9a07e295ea8)
   - https://github.com/apache/iceberg/releases/tag/pyiceberg-0.1.0rc2
   -
   https://github.com/apache/iceberg/tree/83e3ab0b9fb57890d63130499e84c55b91fc0c17
   - Difference between RC1 and RC2:
   https://github.com/apache/iceberg/compare/pyiceberg-0.1.0rc1...pyiceberg-0.1.0rc2

The release tarball, signature, and checksums are here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/iceberg/pyiceberg-0.1.0rc2/

You can find the KEYS file here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/iceberg/KEYS

You can run the following to check the signature:
> wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/iceberg/KEYS
> gpg --import KEYS
> gpg --verify pyiceberg-0.1.0rc2.tar.gz.asc pyiceberg-0.1.0rc2.tar.gz
gpg: Signature made za 24 sep 21:07:12 2022 CEST
gpg:                using RSA key FCD3779E399C53D995FC82A35171BA3E54493550
gpg: Good signature from "Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>" [ultimate]

And check the checksums:
> shasum -c pyiceberg-0.1.0.tar.gz.sha512
pyiceberg-0.1.0.tar.gz: OK

Convenience binary artifacts are staged on pypi:
https://pypi.org/project/pyiceberg/0.1.0rc2/

And can be installed using: pip3 install pyiceberg==0.1.0rc2

Testing can be done using:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/iceberg/pyiceberg-0.1.0rc2/pyiceberg-0.1.0.tar.gz
> tar -xf pyiceberg-0.1.0.tar.gz
> cd pyiceberg-0.1.0
> make check-license
> make install && make test

Please download, verify, and test.

Please vote in the next 96 hours (extended due to the weekend).
[ ] +1 Release this as PyIceberg 0.1.0
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this because...

Please don't hesitate to reach out if there are any questions,

Kind regards,
Fokko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PyIceberg 0.1.0 RC2

Posted by Steve Zhang <ho...@apple.com.INVALID>.
Thank you Fokko, also forgot to update my vote to +1 given package version is clarified.
Thank you for the great work!

Steve Zhang

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Hey Everyone,

Posted by leilei hu <hu...@gmail.com>.
+1

 In https://pypi.org/project/pyiceberg/0.1.0rc2/ <https://pypi.org/project/pyiceberg/0.1.0rc2/>,  I click the url “https://pyiceberg.apache.org <https://pyiceberg.apache.org/>https://pyiceberg.apache.org <https://pyiceberg.apache.org/>.",I meet a minor question:Unable to access this site

Posted by Anton Okolnychyi <ao...@apple.com.INVALID>.
+1

From: Daniel Weeks <dw...@apache.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 9:37 PM
To: "dev@iceberg.apache.org" <de...@iceberg.apache.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL][VOTE] Release Apache PyIceberg 0.1.0 RC2

To avoid confusion in the future, I would suggest to hardcode the version instead of looking it up from the currently installed version: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/5854 This makes it more clear, the only thing is that we need to bump two versions after a release. This is very little effort and will reduce the ambiguity around the version. For clarity, I also created a PR with the updated release instructions: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/5856

Posted by Daniel Weeks <dw...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PyIceberg 0.1.0 RC2

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.

Posted by Steve Zhang <ho...@apple.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.
+0