Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Robert Bergstrom <rb...@iSolutionsCorp.com> on 2001/04/24 00:38:09 UTC

[DOMConfigurator] Can't Find Error

Hello:

Using Log4J 1.1b4, JDK 1.3 on W2K, I've run into a DTD error from Xerces
which I cannot find in the XML file.  I am using Xerces 1.3.1, and the error
and suspect XML file follow:

===

Warning: validation was turned on but an org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler was not
set, which is probably not what is desired.  Parser will use a default
ErrorHandler to print the first 10 errors.  Please call
the 'setErrorHandler' method to fix this.
Error:
URI=jar:file:/D:/Work/Aglets/lib-sys/log4j.jar!/org/apache/log4j/xml/log4
j.dtd Line=22: The content of element type "log4j:configuration" must match
"(re
nderer*,appender*,category*,root?)".

===

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<log4j:configuration>

	<appender name="STDOUT" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
                <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%t] %C{2}
(%F:%L) - %m%n"/>
           </layout>
	</appender>

    <root>
	   <priority value ="debug" />
   	   <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
	</root>

    <category name="org.apache.log4j.xml">
	  <priority value="debug" />
  	  <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
	</category>

</log4j:configuration>

===
You may recognize this from the Log4J examples.  Now, I realize I could
probably turn validation off, but I wonder if I am misconfigured in some
way.

Thanks in advance,

// RAB

Re: [DOMConfigurator] Can't Find Error

Posted by Ceki Gulcu <ce...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,

<root> element must be listed last. Is this also wrong
in one of the examples shipped by log4j? Ceki

--- Robert Bergstrom <rb...@iSolutionsCorp.com>
wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Using Log4J 1.1b4, JDK 1.3 on W2K, I've run into a
> DTD error from Xerces
> which I cannot find in the XML file.  I am using
> Xerces 1.3.1, and the error
> and suspect XML file follow:
>
> ===
>
> Warning: validation was turned on but an
> org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler was not
> set, which is probably not what is desired.  Parser
> will use a default
> ErrorHandler to print the first 10 errors.  Please
> call
> the 'setErrorHandler' method to fix this.
> Error:

URI=jar:file:/D:/Work/Aglets/lib-sys/log4j.jar!/org/apache/log4j/xml/log4
> j.dtd Line=22: The content of element type
> "log4j:configuration" must match
> "(re
> nderer*,appender*,category*,root?)".
>
> ===
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "log4j.dtd">
>
> <log4j:configuration>
>
> 	<appender name="STDOUT"
> class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
>            <layout
> class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>                 <param name="ConversionPattern"
> value="%d %-5p [%t] %C{2}
> (%F:%L) - %m%n"/>
>            </layout>
> 	</appender>
>
>     <root>
> 	   <priority value ="debug" />
>    	   <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
> 	</root>
>
>     <category name="org.apache.log4j.xml">
> 	  <priority value="debug" />
>   	  <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
> 	</category>
>
> </log4j:configuration>
>
> ===
> You may recognize this from the Log4J examples.
> Now, I realize I could
> probably turn validation off, but I wonder if I am
> misconfigured in some
> way.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> // RAB

=====
---------
Ceki Gulcu                         E-mail: ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com
Rumine 5                           Tel:    ++41-21-351 23 15
CH-1005 Lausanne/Switzerland