Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/01 18:14:17 UTC

Status of subversion.tigris.org & Windows binaries

Hi all!

I know and appreciate that the binaries are provided by volunteers,
so please take this at the actual value of the subject: as a question
not of when, but on the status.

Checking now and then for new versions at tigris there are only
binaries for 1.6.6 from late October.  Getting kind of curious I
looked at the homepage probably a fortnight ago, to find current
version rather is 1.6.9 or three releases further.  Yet when looking
around a little more Collab.net had binaries of 1.6.6 only, so had
Wandisc (learned from Wikipedia they had bought into Subversion).
 Only third-party places like SlikSVN or TortoiseSVN had 1.6.9
stuff.  Not much use here as I would need plain server & client
binaries, nothing more, nothing less.

I could imagine that with the move to Apache there are license
issues, so my question: have I missed something, will there be
binaries again in future or are we on our own?

TIA

JH
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     I beg you take courage; the brave soul can mend even disaster.
               -- Catherine the Great (1729-1796)

Re: Status of subversion.tigris.org & Windows binaries

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know and appreciate that the binaries are provided by volunteers,
> so please take this at the actual value of the subject: as a question
> not of when, but on the status.
>
> Checking now and then for new versions at tigris there are only
> binaries for 1.6.6 from late October.  Getting kind of curious I
> looked at the homepage probably a fortnight ago, to find current
> version rather is 1.6.9 or three releases further.

Just as an fyi, the 1.6.7 and 1.6.8 releases were discarded.  So there
has really only been one release.

> Yet when looking
> around a little more Collab.net had binaries of 1.6.6 only

CollabNet has had 1.6.9 posted since it was released.

> Wandisc (learned from Wikipedia they had bought into Subversion).
>  Only third-party places like SlikSVN or TortoiseSVN had 1.6.9
> stuff.  Not much use here as I would need plain server & client
> binaries, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> I could imagine that with the move to Apache there are license
> issues, so my question: have I missed something, will there be
> binaries again in future or are we on our own?

The only issue on the tigris binaries is that the volunteer that was
maintaining them announced back after 1.6.6 came out that he would not
have the time to make them anymore.  Volunteers are always welcome to
create and post binaries.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard