Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mi...@faa.gov on 2016/06/07 16:03:19 UTC

Maven and Eclipse

I have recently been doing Maven builds from Eclipse Luna with no problems.

Recently I upgraded Eclipse to Mars 2 and Maven builds that worked in the past no longer work.  I have posted the error I'm getting at the end of this email.  In addition, it appears that the Maven -> Update project.... Feature is no longer working.  When I do this from Eclipse Mars 2 on an empty local repo, the local repo is populated from my remote repo fine, but the Java Build Path Libraries are not populated, when I start with both an empty local repo and no libraries other than the JDK.

I am using the m2e-workspace v0.3.1.  Does this need to be changed as a result of my upgrade from Luna to Mars 2?

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile (default-compile) on project queue.producer:
        Execution default-compile of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile failed:
        Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved:
        Failure to find org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.9 in https://swimrepo.faa.gov/nexus/content/repositories/Repo-jboss-fuse-06-02-01-Releases
        was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of SwimRepo
        has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

Thank you.

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Software Engineer
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

Re: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Michael,

> Failure to find org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.9 in

https://swimrepo.faa.gov/nexus/content/repositories/Repo-jboss-fuse-06-02-01-Releases
> was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted
> until the update interval of SwimRepo has elapsed or updates are
> forced -> [Help 1]

Firstly, you need to check the "Force updates of snapshots and releases"
option. Otherwise, Maven is telling you that this step failed _earlier_ and
so it's not going to even try and do it again this time, unless you force
it to.

Once you force it, you should see a different error message if indeed that
artifact is not present in that repository.

Do you by chance have a <mirror> block in your settings.xml? If so, then
perhaps your swimrepo.faa.gov mirror does not in fact contain that
org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:2.0.9 artifact as it is supposed to?

-Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden
LOCI software architect - http://loci.wisc.edu/software

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:35 PM, <Mi...@faa.gov> wrote:

> And one last thing on this.
>
> So now that I have resolved the Maven Dependencies problem, which it
> appears I created myself, I am back to the original problem which is when I
> compile from Eclipse (regardless of whether I upgraded to Mars 2 from Luna
> as in my Windows environment or fresh installed Mars 2 as in my Linux
> environment) I get the following error:
>
> Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile
> (default-compile) on project queue.producer: Execution default-compile of
> goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile failed:
> Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1 or one of its
> dependencies could not be resolved: Failure to find
> org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.9 in
> https://swimrepo.faa.gov/nexus/content/repositories/Repo-jboss-fuse-06-02-01-Releases
> was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted
> until the update interval of SwimRepo has elapsed or updates are forced ->
> [Help 1]
>
> And if I recall, this is what both Curtis was explaining (fresh install
> vs. upgrade) and Barrie wanted to know about in terms of outcome.
>
> So thus far the outcome is the same for the upgrade and fresh install
> environments, albeit the former is a Windows platform and the later a Linux
> platform.  I will try a fresh install of Mars 2 in Windows as soon as I
> have time to work on it.
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Software Engineer
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

RE: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Mi...@faa.gov.

RE: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

> From: Michael.CTR.Tarullo@faa.gov
> To: users@maven.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Maven and Eclipse
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:33:31 +0000
>
> This is a partial update to this issue, which I am posting as requested by Barrie Treloar.
>
> I encountered this problem on a Windows install of Eclipse.  For the project I am working on I also needed a Linux Eclipse environment.  So I asked our Linux Sys Admin to install a fresh download of Eclipse Mars 2 in a Linux VM I have dedicated to my project.
>
> I created new projects in this environment as Maven projects.  A Maven Dependencies entry was added to my project's Libraries tab for the Java Build Path.  I then ported my source code from my Windows Eclipse environment to this new Eclipse Linux environment and the related POM files.  I removed the Maven Dependencies entry from the Java Build Path that was created when the project was created.  I then deleted all the entries in my local .m2/repositories directory because when I executed Maven -> Update Project.... from Eclipse I wanted to make sure that both my local repository and my Java Build Path were refreshed.  I then executed Maven -> Update Project.... from Eclipse and unlike in my Windows environment where only the local repo was refreshed not the Maven Dependencies in my Java Build Path, both the Maven Dependencies in my Java Build Path and my local repo were refreshed.
>
> While the problem I was experiencing in my Windows environment where my Eclipse was upgraded from Luna to Mars 2 without doing a fresh install appears to be resolved by a fresh install on the Linux platform, I am not problem free.  While the Maven Dependencies entry was added to the Libraries tab for the Java Build Path and all the jar files specified in my POM were referenced in the Maven Dependencies, these references are flagged as missing from my local repo.  I am investigating this now.

MG>if you are not doing update (mvn -u phase)
MG>then local repository will contain hint to maven repository URL that contains artifact the contents will be NameOf.jar.lastUpdated
#NOTE: This is an internal implementation file, its format can be changed without prior notice.#Mon May 04 17:28:11 EDT 2016http\://repo1.maven.org/maven2/.error=http\://repo1.maven.org/maven2/.lastUpdated=1430774891971

MG>NB: if there was an error the .error entry will be populated with something like:
http\://ws.zones.apache.org/repository2/.error=Could not transfer artifact bouncycastle\:bcprov-jdk13\:pom\:132 from/to apache-ws-snapshots2 (http\://ws.zones.apache.org/repository2)\: Error transferring file\: ws.zones.apache.org

#NOTE: This is an Aether internal implementation file, its format can be changed without prior notice.#Tue Aug 18 09:14:32 EDT 2015bcel-5.1.jar>central=https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2bcel-5.1.pom>central=https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/m2e/releases/

> I have not had the opportunity to try a fresh install in my Windows environment.  As soon as I have some time to do this I will update the mailing list again with those results as well.
>
> I hope this explanation has been helpful.
MG>yes..this has been very helpful..thanks
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Software Engineer
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

RE: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Mi...@faa.gov.
This is a partial update to this issue, which I am posting as requested by Barrie Treloar.

I encountered this problem on a Windows install of Eclipse.  For the project I am working on I also needed a Linux Eclipse environment.  So I asked our Linux Sys Admin to install a fresh download of Eclipse Mars 2 in a Linux VM I have dedicated to my project.

I created new projects in this environment as Maven projects.  A Maven Dependencies entry was added to my project's Libraries tab for the Java Build Path.  I then ported my source code from my Windows Eclipse environment to this new Eclipse Linux environment and the related POM files.  I removed the Maven Dependencies entry from the Java Build Path that was created when the project was created.  I then deleted all the entries in my local .m2/repositories directory because when I executed Maven -> Update Project.... from Eclipse I wanted to make sure that both my local repository and my Java Build Path were refreshed.  I then executed Maven -> Update Project.... from Eclipse and unlike in my Windows environment where only the local repo was refreshed not the Maven Dependencies in my Java Build Path, both the Maven Dependencies in my Java Build Path and my local repo were refreshed.

While the problem I was experiencing in my Windows environment where my Eclipse was upgraded from Luna to Mars 2 without doing a fresh install appears to be resolved by a fresh install on the Linux platform, I am not problem free.  While the Maven Dependencies entry was added to the Libraries tab for the Java Build Path and all the jar files specified in my POM were referenced in the Maven Dependencies, these references are flagged as missing from my local repo.  I am investigating this now.

I have not had the opportunity to try a fresh install in my Windows environment.  As soon as I have some time to do this I will update the mailing list again with those results as well.

I hope this explanation has been helpful.

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Software Engineer
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

> As soon as I get a chance, I'll try a fresh install of Mars 2 and see
> how it goes.  I usually do my Eclipse upgrades with fresh installs,
> this is the first time I tried to upgrade from a previous version.
>
> Mike

And when you resolve the issue, can you post back your findings for search engines to find.

Thanks.

RE: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Mi...@faa.gov.
Curtis,

Thank you for your reply.  It actually gave me an idea that solved my problem.

To get Eclipse and Maven recreate the Maven Dependencies in my Java Build Path I ran Maven -> Update Projects..... first without a settings.xml file which did recreate the entry, but with the errors because without the settings.xml file Maven could not access my remote repo.  Then I ran it again with my settings.xml file in my .m2 directory and all the errors in my Maven Dependencies entry in the Java Build Path are now correct.

I have been going back and forth on this for the past few weeks (since my original post) so I cannot say what prompted me to remove the Maven Dependencies from the Java Build Path.  It is possible I was just curious to see if Maven -> Update Projects would refresh the entry.

I am now going to see if this fixes the situation in my Windows environment.

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Software Engineer
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Michael,

> I removed the Maven Dependencies entry from the Java Build Bath
> Libraries tab

I don't understand why you are doing this step. It should never be
necessary in my experience, and my intuition is that it could hose things
up. The Maven > Update Project... command in the Package Explorer context
menu (when you right-click a Maven project) should rebuild the contents of
the Maven Dependencies list automatically, and hence keep your build path
up to date.

The workflow to get up and running on a target system (Windows, Linux or
otherwise) should be the same:

- Clone the project from your SCM to a local directory
- File > Import > Existing Maven Project...
- Select the local directory you just cloned
- Next a couple of times, and you're done.

And updating should be as simple as:

- Update from your SCM
- *Maybe* quick-fix to "Update Project..." if Eclipse complains about the
pom.xml being out of sync. This will likely depend on how you updated from
your SCM: through Eclipse or externally.

Glad that you figured out about the settings.xml file.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden
LOCI software architect - http://loci.wisc.edu/software
ImageJ2 lead, Fiji maintainer - http://imagej.net/User:Rueden
Did you know ImageJ has a forum? http://forum.imagej.net/

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM, <Mi...@faa.gov> wrote:

> Further information on this issue:
>
> I earlier reported that my fresh install of Eclipse Mars 2 in a Linux
> environment did create a Maven Directories entry when executing Maven ->
> Update Project, but that I noticed a problem with the actual jar files this
> entry was pointing to and that they were not loaded into my local repo from
> my remote repo.
>
> It appears this behavior was because I neglected to port my settings.xml
> file to the .m2 directory and this file contains the credentials to log in
> to my remote repo.
>
> So, I copied my settings.xml file from my Windows environment and updated
> the location of my local repo in settings.xml with my Linux path to my
> local repo.  Then I removed the Maven Dependencies entry from the Java
> Build Bath Libraries tab, removed all the directories in my local repo and
> executed Maven -> Update Project.....; this time I received the same
> results that I did in my Windows environment where my Eclipse upgrade to
> Mars 2 was not from a fresh install.
>
> Once again, I hope this is helpful.  And sorry for any confusion the first
> post may have caused.  I just completely forgot about the settings.xml file.
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Software Engineer
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

RE: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Mi...@faa.gov.

Re: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Michael,

> That is why I was wondering if the problem was either the new Mars 2
> version of Eclipse or possibly the m2e plugin.

For what it's worth, M2E works great on my system with Eclipse Mars.2. I
would suggest testing with a fresh installation of Eclipse and a clean
workspace -- if you migrated your workspace from Luna it might be that
something got hosed up there.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden
LOCI software architect - http://loci.wisc.edu/software
ImageJ2 lead, Fiji maintainer - http://imagej.net/User:Rueden
Did you know ImageJ has a forum? http://forum.imagej.net/

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM, <Mi...@faa.gov> wrote:

> Yes the compile (of course with the exact same POM) works from the command
> line.  That is why I was wondering if the problem was either the new Mars 2
> version of Eclipse or possibly the m2e plugin.  As per the question in your
> reply and my answer here, I will post something to the m2e mailing list, as
> you suggest.
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Software Engineer
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

RE: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Mi...@faa.gov.
Yes the compile (of course with the exact same POM) works from the command line.  That is why I was wondering if the problem was either the new Mars 2 version of Eclipse or possibly the m2e plugin.  As per the question in your reply and my answer here, I will post something to the m2e mailing list, as you suggest.

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Software Engineer
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

> I have recently been doing Maven builds from Eclipse Luna with no problems.
>
> Recently I upgraded Eclipse to Mars 2 and Maven builds that worked in
> the past no longer work.  I have posted the error I'm getting at the
> end of this email.  In addition, it appears that the Maven -> Update project....
> Feature is no longer working.  When I do this from Eclipse Mars 2 on
> an empty local repo, the local repo is populated from my remote repo
> fine, but the Java Build Path Libraries are not populated, when I
> start with both an empty local repo and no libraries other than the JDK.
>
> I am using the m2e-workspace v0.3.1.  Does this need to be changed as
> a result of my upgrade from Luna to Mars 2?
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile
> (default-compile) on project queue.producer:
>         Execution default-compile of goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile failed:
>         Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1 or
> one of its dependencies could not be resolved:
>         Failure to find org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.9 in
> https://swimrepo.faa.gov/nexus/content/repositories/Repo-jboss-fuse-06-02-01-Releases
>         was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be
> reattempted until the update interval of SwimRepo
>         has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

Does this work on the command line ?
If yes, then you need to email the m2e mailing list to troubleshoot further.

This error doesn't look like a problem with maven or m2e.
This looks like org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.9 is not in your organisations nexus proxy.

From the path in the url to the nexus repo it looks like a jboss fuse cache.

Re: Maven and Eclipse

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 8 June 2016 at 01:33, <Mi...@faa.gov> wrote:

> I have recently been doing Maven builds from Eclipse Luna with no problems.
>
> Recently I upgraded Eclipse to Mars 2 and Maven builds that worked in the
> past no longer work.  I have posted the error I'm getting at the end of
> this email.  In addition, it appears that the Maven -> Update project....
> Feature is no longer working.  When I do this from Eclipse Mars 2 on an
> empty local repo, the local repo is populated from my remote repo fine, but
> the Java Build Path Libraries are not populated, when I start with both an
> empty local repo and no libraries other than the JDK.
>
> I am using the m2e-workspace v0.3.1.  Does this need to be changed as a
> result of my upgrade from Luna to Mars 2?
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile
> (default-compile) on project queue.producer:
>         Execution default-compile of goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile failed:
>         Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1 or one
> of its dependencies could not be resolved:
>         Failure to find org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.9 in
> https://swimrepo.faa.gov/nexus/content/repositories/Repo-jboss-fuse-06-02-01-Releases
>         was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be
> reattempted until the update interval of SwimRepo
>         has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

Does this work on the command line ?
If yes, then you need to email the m2e mailing list to troubleshoot further.

This error doesn't look like a problem with maven or m2e.
This looks like org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.9 is not in your
organisations nexus proxy.

From the path in the url to the nexus repo it looks like a jboss fuse cache.