Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by DE VITO Dominique <do...@thalesgroup.com> on 2012/12/21 16:56:32 UTC

RE: what happens while node is bootstrapping?

For the purposes of the consistency optimization, I would have written that the (new) node bootstrapping should receive writes, but also its own replicas (!).

In case of SimpleStrategy, it's obvious that the new node replicas are included into the original replicas. So, it's valid to say "The bootstrapping node will writes for its new range while bootstrapping as consistency optimization" without mentionning the new node replicas.

In case of NetworkTopologyStrategy, after having played with some examples to support my following claim, I suspect the new node replicas are also included into the original replicas. So, I am inclined to say it's valid too to say "The bootstrapping node will writes for its new range while bootstrapping as consistency optimization" without mentionning the new node replicas.

1) In case of NetworkTopologyStrategy, for a bootstrap, is it correct to say that the new node replicas are *always* included into the original replicas ?
(I think Cassandra dev have already proved it).

2) in case of bootstrapping multiple nodes at the same time, the replicas of a new node are *not*always included into the original replicas.
Is it a pb for Cassandra (and then, do we need to bootstrap nodes one by one ?), or is Cassandra able to detect multiple nodes are bootstrapping and to deal with it to fetch data on the right nodes ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Dominique