Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Yi, Gene" <Ge...@sc.com.INVALID> on 2018/07/03 02:05:13 UTC

what need to be done if we increase the Kafka nodes from 3 to 5?

Hi All

I want to increase the Kafka nodes from 3 to 5 and just wondering what need to be done.  Will it work if we directly add the 2 kafka into the cluster without changing anything?( like the partition, replicas ) ?

Re: what need to be done if we increase the Kafka nodes from 3 to 5?

Posted by Brett Rann <br...@zendesk.com.INVALID>.
They will be members of the cluster, yes, but they won't be serving any
partitions unless you create new topics where partitions might be assigned
to the new brokers, or run things which automatically balance partitions
(kafka-monitor does that, and cruise-control can).

You'll need to run partition reassignments to serve existing partitions
from the new brokers.

We use cruise-control from linked-in to add/remove brokers from clusters,
and manage the partition reassignments in a well balanced way.

You can do it manually too:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Replication+tools#Replicationtools-ClusterExpansion