Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Mark S. Heiges" <mh...@uga.edu> on 2007/01/04 19:55:31 UTC

disabling an inherited authentication configuration

I have a dozen-ish virtual hosts that "Include" a common
configuration file which, among other things, specifies
authentication for the sites:

<Location / >
     AuthName "File Auth"
     AuthType Basic
     AuthUserFile  /etc/httpd/conf/passwords
     AuthAuthoritative off
     Require user joe
</Location>

In one of the virtual hosts I want to override the inherited
authentication mechanism to use mod_auth_ldap (httpd 2.0.52):

<Location / >
        AuthLDAPAuthoritative On
        AuthLDAPEnabled On
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Ldap Auth"
        AuthLDAPBindDN "uid=mod_auth_ldap,ou=Special
Users,dc=example,dc=com"
        AuthLDAPBindPassword elngt0nc0at0r
        AuthLDAPURL "ldaps://ds1.example.org:636/
ou=people,dc=example,dc=org?uid?sub"
        Require group cn=Webusers,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=org
</Location>

However, I am unable to undefine the AuthUserFile in the
reconfiguration. Apache continues with the file-based password
comparison. The mod_auth_ldap works fine if I don't pre-declare the
AuthUserFile. I have similar problems if I try to change the
authentication method on a subdirectory (eg.  <Location /mydir> )

Is there a way to disable an inherited authentication module once its
been declared?

 From my reading of the mod_auth doc I'm understanding there is not:
"So if a userID appears in the database of more than one module; or
if a valid Require directive applies to more than one module; then
the first module will verify the credentials; and no access is passed
on; regardless of the AuthAuthoritative setting."

Re: disabling an inherited authentication configuration

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com>.
On Jan 4, 2007, at 1:55 PM, Mark S. Heiges wrote:

> I have a dozen-ish virtual hosts that "Include" a common
> configuration file which, among other things, specifies
> authentication for the sites:

your best off asking your question again on a mod_auth_ldap or
general Apache httpd list -- this one is for mod_perl

// Jonathan Vanasco