Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Alex Thompson <pi...@hotmail.com> on 2011/03/04 09:54:17 UTC

[Lucene.Net] [VOTE] Fork Sharpen

Hey All,

The discussion on Sharpen or other porting tools has been quiet so I think
its time for a vote. Background info here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-380

I propose forking Sharpen outside of ASF for use in our conversion and any
other java project.

The company that created Sharpen (db4o) could accept patches however I fear
that the scope of our changes will be large enough that our goals will not
align with db4o's and using their trunk would be a burden. Also hopefully
the fork project could attract more attention and contributions than the
current obscure repository.

Vote will be open for 72 hours.
Suggestions on where to host the fork and name for the fork encouraged.

My name pick: Grindstone
(as in what you use to sharpen)

Thanks,
Alex

RE: [Lucene.Net] [VOTE] Fork Sharpen

Posted by Alex Thompson <pi...@hotmail.com>.
If we were just doing small discrete patches it would be fine to give them a
try but I think we are looking at taking the project in a new direction. Our
work will be experimental for a while so its easier to play around in a
fresh repository than convince them to commit something that partially
works.

Also looking at their forum, the last user submitted patch took a few weeks
to get committed and when the user uploaded an additional change it seems
that was ignored.

Wouldn't it be better to make such a decision only after it has shown that
working with db4o doesn't work well?

Posted by Hans Merkl <hm...@hmerkl.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.