Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Anoop V. Mathew" <an...@mailnull.com> on 2004/07/29 06:07:47 UTC

Windows, svnserve and authentication

Hi,

I'd like to know if the Subversion server can be installed on Windows 2000
and used to serve clients from remote workstations through svnserve with
authentication? I have got it to work using local access with file://, but
when I try to access the repository through svnserve, I can't check in or
write to it as it responds by saying the repository is read only.

Going through the svn book, it appears that I can't push the authentication
details to svnserve. If needed, it will demand it when a user accesses the
repository through it. How do I get it to demand authentication, so that it
allows me write access to the repository. I've got svnserve.conf in the conf
directory with the following entries

anon-access = none
auth-access = write
password-db = passwd.conf
realm = Test realm

The passwd.conf file has entries like

[users]
user1 = password1
user2 = password2

Is using Apache the only way I can serve remote subversion clients with
authentication?  If this has been explained before in the mailing list or in
other documentation, a pointer to it will suffice

Thanks in advance,
Anoop

Re: Windows, svnserve and authentication

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 01:07, Anoop V. Mathew wrote:

> anon-access = none
> auth-access = write
> password-db = passwd.conf
> realm = Test realm
>
> The passwd.conf file has entries like
>
> [users]
> user1 = password1
> user2 = password2

The client and server operating systems are irrelevant:  svnserve is
portable, and so is the svn client.  You're doing everything right, as
far as I can tell.

Your configuration above looks correct to me, so I'm puzzled as to why
svnserve isn't sending an authn challenge to the client.

How are you running svnserve?  Is it running as a background daemon
('svnserve -d')?

Where is the passwd.conf file?  Is it in the same directory as
svnserve.conf, within repos/conf/ ?  It should be, according to your
configuration.

How are you accessing with the client?  'svn checkout svn://host/...'?
It would help to see specific transcripts.