Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/10/08 01:02:05 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Hive 0.12.0 Release Candidate 0

Apache Hive 0.12.0 Release Candidate 0 is available here:
http://people.apache.org/~thejas/hive-0.12.0-rc0/

Maven artifacts are available here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehive-138/

This release has 406 issues fixed.
This includes several new features such as data types date and
varchar, optimizer improvements, ORC format improvements and many bug
fixes. Hcatalog packages have now moved to org.apache.hive.hcatalog
(from org.apache.hcatalog), and the maven packages are published under
org.apache.hive.hcatalog.

Voting will conclude in 72 hours.

Hive PMC Members: Please test and vote.

Thanks,
Thejas

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I opened:

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Its generally not great to have 3 or more version numbers. When we move to
maven supporting 3 with different release plugins is much easier.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
Thejas,

If you are considering respining RC, I would like to request inclusion of
following:

HIVE-5418 : Integer overflow bug in
ConditionalResolverCommonJoin.AliasFileSizePair
HIVE-5449 : Hive schematool info option incorrectly reports error for
Postgres metastore
HIVE-5484 : TestSchemaTool failures when Hive version has more than 3
revision numbers

Justification : All of these are small bug fixes which are already
committed to trunk.

Thanks,
Ashutosh

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Thejas!

While we would really appreciate seeing such a source tarball sooner than
later, I completely understand and will let you make the call whether we
should do it in this release or not.

Moreover, with the mavenization effort, doing this work in ant in Hive 0.12
may not be all that worthwhile.

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Thejas!

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> > Two items of discussion:
>> >
>> > The tag contains .gitignore files so I believe the source tarball (src/
>> > directory) should as well.
>>
>> It is strange that other files files with "." prefix do get included
>> (.checkstyle, .arcconfig ), but .gitignore doesn't get included.
>>
>> > This might be a wider item than the current release. However, our
>> "source"
>> > tarball actually contains all the hive-*.jar files in addition to the all
>> > the libraries. Beyond that the source tarball actually doesn't match the
>> tag
>> > structure, the src directory of the source tarball does.  I think we
>> should
>> > change this at some point so the source tarball structure exactly matches
>> > the tag.
>>
>> Yes, I think we should address this for the next release. It might

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
There's already a JIRA for this, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-4731 it just needs a patch.  Given that Brock is working to move the build to Maven we should wait until that is done before adding this to the build.

Alan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> > Two items of discussion:
>> >
>> > The tag contains .gitignore files so I believe the source tarball (src/
>> > directory) should as well.
>>
>> It is strange that other files files with "." prefix do get included
>> (.checkstyle, .arcconfig ), but .gitignore doesn't get included.
>>
>> > This might be a wider item than the current release. However, our
>> "source"
>> > tarball actually contains all the hive-*.jar files in addition to the all
>> > the libraries. Beyond that the source tarball actually doesn't match the
>> tag
>> > structure, the src directory of the source tarball does.  I think we
>> should
>> > change this at some point so the source tarball structure exactly matches
>> > the tag.
>>
>> Yes, I think we should address this for the next release. It might

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
Thejas,

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Hi Thejas,
>>
>> Again thank you very much for all the hard work!
>>
>> Two items of discussion:
>>
>> The tag contains .gitignore files so I believe the source tarball (src/
>> directory) should as well.
>
> It is strange that other files files with "." prefix do get included
> (.checkstyle, .arcconfig ), but .gitignore doesn't get included.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to fix that.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
Thejas,

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi Thejas,
>
> Again thank you very much for all the hard work!
>
> Two items of discussion:
>
> The tag contains .gitignore files so I believe the source tarball (src/
> directory) should as well.

It is strange that other files files with "." prefix do get included
(.checkstyle, .arcconfig ), but .gitignore doesn't get included.

> This might be a wider item than the current release. However, our "source"
> tarball actually contains all the hive-*.jar files in addition to the all
> the libraries. Beyond that the source tarball actually doesn't match the tag
> structure, the src directory of the source tarball does.  I think we should
> change this at some point so the source tarball structure exactly matches
> the tag.

Yes, I think we should address this for the next release. It might
take some time to get this done right.

> Brock
>

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> Carl pointed some issues with the RC. I will be rolling out a new RC
>> to address those (hopefully sometime tomorrow).
>> If anybody finds additional issues, please let me know, so that I can
>> address those as well in the next RC.
>>
>> HIVE-5489 - NOTICE copyright dates are out of date
>> HIVE-5488 - some files are missing apache license headers
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Yes, that is the correct tag. Thanks for pointing it out.
>> > I also update the tag as it was a little behind what is in the RC
>> > (found some issues with maven-publish).
>> >
>> > I have also updated the release vote email template in hive
>> > HowToRelease wiki page, to include note about the tag .
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Thejas

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Thejas,

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, that is the correct tag. Thanks for pointing it out.
I also update the tag as it was a little behind what is in the RC
(found some issues with maven-publish).

I have also updated the release vote email template in hive
HowToRelease wiki page, to include note about the tag .

Thanks,
Thejas

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi Thejas,
>
> Thank you very much for the hard work!  I believe the vote email should
> contain a link to the tag we are voting on. I assume the tag is:
> release-0.12.0-rc0 (
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hive/tags/release-0.12.0-rc0/). Is that
> correct?
>
> Brock
>

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Apache Hive 0.12.0 Release Candidate 0 is available here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~thejas/hive-0.12.0-rc0/
>>
>> Maven artifacts are available here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehive-138/
>>
>> This release has 406 issues fixed.
>> This includes several new features such as data types date and
>> varchar, optimizer improvements, ORC format improvements and many bug
>> fixes. Hcatalog packages have now moved to org.apache.hive.hcatalog
>> (from org.apache.hcatalog), and the maven packages are published under
>> org.apache.hive.hcatalog.
>>
>> Voting will conclude in 72 hours.
>>
>> Hive PMC Members: Please test and vote.
>>
>> Thanks,