Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jai Gupta <ma...@jaigupta.com> on 2008/01/13 09:02:47 UTC

spamassassin eating lot of RAM

My server has 8GB of ram, around 4 GB is currently used by spamassassin (too
many process of /usr/bin/perl -T /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/spammng -c -C
--max-children=1 start).

Is this normal? Can I somehow limit the process concurrency of spamassassin
or I could limit the amount of RAM it consumes?

I am tried to change max-children from 5 to 1 (by using Plesk) but no
results.

Jai

Re: spamassassin eating lot of RAM

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Jai Gupta wrote:
> My server has 8GB of ram, around 4 GB is currently used by spamassassin (too
> many process of /usr/bin/perl -T /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/spammng -c -C
> --max-children=1 start).

"spammng" is not SpamAssassin.  Tell whatever is spawning this process
to limit the number of these it spawns concurrently.

> Is this normal?

I have no idea.  I don't know what "spammng" (I assume 'spam manage')
is.  If it's a start up script for spamd it really should only be run
once.  You only want one copy of spamd running.  Perhaps a message is
passed to this process and it should really be calling spamc?

> Can I somehow limit the process concurrency of spamassassin
> or I could limit the amount of RAM it consumes?

--max-children *does* limit the number of concurrent *spamd* children.
It has nothing to do with "spammng" though.

> I am tried to change max-children from 5 to 1 (by using Plesk) but no
> results.

I'd ask some Plesk folks about "spammng" and how to control it.

Daryl

Re: spamassassin eating lot of RAM

Posted by Jai Gupta <ma...@jaigupta.com>.
Thanks Jeff,

Some stats could be seen on
http://stats.jaigupta.com/com/jaigupta.com-memory.html and
http://stats.jaigupta.com/com/jaigupta.com-processes.html

spamassassin is using RAM with an linearly increasing rate, if it is not
stopped soon my server will end with its all RAM used by spamassassin.

Do we have any other way (hacks are welcome) to minimize the resources used
by spamassassin?

I am using default rulesets that are installed with Plesk.

Jai

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Jai Gupta <ma...@jaigupta.com>.
Thanks guys,

Problem solved now, It was a program called "watchdog" in Plesk which was
the problem. Somehow it is not detecting the status of process and is
starting the process again and again.

Jai

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@barking-dog.net>.