Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sean Slattery <se...@aa.com> on 2007/09/14 22:22:36 UTC

Script Params/CSV Read Issue in Win -> Linux Remote Test

Hello!
I'm trying to set up remote servers to deliver load to any one of several
middle tier applications that do XML-RPC soap-ish things.

I'm using the same JRE/JDK (1.5 series) and have tried running my tests with
both the 2.2 and 2.3RC4 versions of JMeter. (No mixed versions going client
to server...) The controller machine is running XPSP2 and the windows based
server machine is also running XPSP2. My Linux server machine is running the
latest stable Ubuntu LAMP release.

I've got a few tests which work as expected going from Win -> Win or just
locally on my Windows laptop. My linux jMeter servers accept requests and
are running the tests and are picking up the text file used for storing test
inputs. From there, things get odd.

While the Linux machine appears to be accepting/pulling data from the CSV,
it only uses the first line from the file and only for the first sampler in
the thread group. I have converted the input file to unix style carriage
returns (on the server side only), which doesn't seem to cause any
improvement.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sean Slattery

Re: Script Params/CSV Read Issue in Win -> Linux Remote Test

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18/09/2007, Sean Slattery <se...@aa.com> wrote:

> sebb-2 wrote:
> >
> >> On the other hand it works. (An RTFM for how to properly set the
> >> permissions
> >> for jMeter to be run by a regular user would be appreciated...)
> >
> > Just unpacking the archive works for me.
>
> I might be having an issue with the distro or unpack location and executing
> user. I'm using Ubuntu LAMP Server, rather than any of the desktop distros;
> and I was messy, and unpacked everything (as root) in the root directory,
> like I do in Windows.
>
> Since doing anything to files in the root directory requires root
> privileges, jMeter didn't have sufficient rights to write in its own
> directories.

It only needs write access for the log files, and you don't have to
start JMeter in the bin directory. So you should just be able to run
it from a directory in which you have write privs.

> In the future, I should probably unpack into /usr/ or /usr/bin/ which may
> avoid much of the headscratching I've just done. This install is a prelude

Should not be necessary.

Posted by Sean Slattery <se...@aa.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Slattery <se...@aa.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/09/2007, Sean Slattery <se...@aa.com> wrote:

> Thanks Sebb.
>

> sebb-2 wrote:
> >
> > Server mode does not require a GUI, but is not the same as non-GUI mode.
>
> Oh, you mean there a different way to start the server?

No, I mean try running JMeter in non-GUI mode - not as a server.

> What would the switches be for that?

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#non_gui

> Does that change how the client/controller can view the test results?

There is no client.

> Does it mean no Windows GUI on the controller?

There is no separate controller.

Posted by Sean Slattery <se...@aa.com>.
Thanks Sebb.

sebb-2 wrote:

> Server mode does not require a GUI, but is not the same as non-GUI mode.

Oh, you mean there a different way to start the server? What would the
switches be for that? Does that change how the client/controller can view
the test results? Does it mean no Windows GUI on the controller?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.