Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2011/10/31 19:16:19 UTC

An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?

There's just a few issues left.  Check it out:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12314223

I'm hoping we can kill these last few and post an RC this week.  If
there is anything you crew could do to help along the RC, I would
appreciate the hand (Or, if there is something you think has to make
it into 0.92.0, please speak up).

Thanks all,
St.Ack

Re: An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.
Jira was down last night.  A new patch has been uploaded for HBASE-4337 to match HBase directory layout same as Hadoop directory layout.  The new share directory is undone for the existing directory layout.  The default directory layout is the existing HBase layout.

The binary only layout, and can be build using:

mvn clean package -P binary,deb,rpm -DskipTests

Patch for HBASE-4337 depends on HBASE-4415, 4523, 4635, 4498.
Let me know if there is any questions or concerns.  Thanks

regards,
Eric

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.
Those patches provides:

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
I'd prefer not to make any changes to our existing tarball structure
for the sake of packaging.

I've always believed that packaging should be done external from a
project - this is the successful model used by 99.9% of all packaged
Linux software. Shuffling around our tarball layout for the sake of
packagers is not maintainable, as packages on different
OSes/distributions may have different requirements.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>> HBASE-4415 Add configuration script for setup HBase (hbase-setup-conf.sh)
>> HBASE-4523 dfs.support.append config should be present in the hadoop configs, we should remove them from hbase so the user is not confused when they see the config in 2 places
>> HBASE-4535 hbase-env.sh in hbase rpm does not set HBASE_CONF_DIR
>> HBASE-4635 Remove dependency of java for rpm/deb packaging
>> HBASE-4498 HBase RPM/DEB packages attempt to setup ZooKeeper environment incorrectly
>>
>> Patches are available for all jiras and reviewed.
>>

> These patches look innocuous enough.  If they all go in, what will we
> have?  A script that can install and configure an hbase?  We'll have a
> new /share dir in our tar ball when its undone.  What else will they
> give us?

Sorry, for perhaps being dense, but where's the patch that would
introduce /share and such?
I'm really nervous about reshuffling the bits at the last moment (if
ever) since I already had
some bad experience with Pig and how Pig/HBase integration  broke after that.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> From: Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>
> I'd like to lobby for the security patches (HBASE-2742 and HBASE-3025)
> going in to 0.92.  This may sound like a big change at this stage, but
> in reality the impact on current HBase core is pretty contained

[...]
> At Trend, we've been running a release with HBase security for the
> past 6 months in production, so it's been proven to work for us.  I
> know that there are other groups interested in working with HBase
> security on 0.92, so I would really like to find a way meet that need.
> At the same time, all of the security components have been built to
> be optionally enabled, so I think there is very little risk to core by
> including it.

FYI, There is also one more patch forthcoming which adds integration for secure ZooKeeper (3.4 RC), if available.
+1

We've engineered these features to have minimal impact on core. Security is implemented as Coprocessors. If you don't want it, just don't load them. Zero impact in that case. Also, it is possible (though strange) to enable security on some tables, but not on others.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Re: An 0.92.0 Release Candidate this week?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to lobby for the security patches (HBASE-2742 and HBASE-3025)
> going in to 0.92.  This may sound like a big change at this stage, but
> in reality the impact on current HBase core is pretty contained:

I've not read the patches but +1 on trying to get them in.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
> That's great news! If you guys are interested in integration testing of this RC
> I can offer the Hadoop-0.22 release that Konstantin, Cos and I are currently
> working on as part of the Bigtop integration testing. The Hadoop stack there
> includes HBase 0.92 on top of HDFS 0.22.

For sure I'm interested.  Would you have time for me some time this
week or after HW to work on this together?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

> From: Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>
> The patch does not advertise Secure HBase, but provides ability to setup
> non-secure HBase on Secure HDFS.  It would be a release note documentation

Yes, as long as the result as-is now is not advertised as a secure system, because it will not be.

Earlier you said:

>>> It is optional to use the configuration scripts, but it is a good
>>> starting point to show people how to configure a secure cluster.

which was at the heart of my objection, because that may be only true right now for core.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Andrew,

The patch does not advertise Secure HBase, but provides ability to setup non-secure HBase on Secure HDFS.  It would be a release note documentation process to set the right expectation.  Secure HBase features can be added separate from setup scripts.  Does this sound like reasonable?  Once HBASE-2742 and HBASE-3025 are committed.  Additional knobs can be added to the setup script in separate jiras.  Would this work?  It would be helpful to keep evolution progressing than patch left out and become out of date.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Eric,

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.
These patches don't depend on the directory structure layout change, but my progress on HBASE-4337 depends on those patches.

regards,
Eric

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Stack,

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Ok.  Good (I asked in the issue if you'd tried it against different
hbase+hadoops -- you can ignore my Q).
St.Ack

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.