Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Satish Jeejula <Je...@ia.com> on 2002/03/21 22:17:41 UTC

re-deploying a web app

Hi All,

I have tomcat 3.3a running and am using that to deploy my web applications.

The procedure I am following  to deploy a webapp is by placing
<filename>.war file in the webapps directory under tomcat_home. When I start
the tomcat, the war file is getting expanded into web-app directory
structure.

Now when I make changes to my application, I recreate the war file and place
it in webapps directory. Now if I restart tomcat, ideally, it should expand
this war file .. right?

But it is not happening. I have to delete the existing web-app directory
structure so that when tomcat is re-started it expands the new war file.

Is there any property in the tomcat config files that I need to set, to make
tomcat expand the war file whenever it finds new one in the webapps
directory?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Satish

Re: re-deploying a web app

Posted by Jeff Larsen <la...@qec.com>.
I've experimented with several versions (3.2, 3.3, 4.0) of Tomcat and
none of them have handled updating of application files with any grace.
The documentation on this is pretty sparse so I've never been sure whether
it's a bug or the intended behavior.

The only way to make sure things get re-deployed properly is to unpack
the war file yourself and restart Tomcat. However, I think if you upload
a new war file and delete the old unpacked directory, Tomcat will unpack the
new war file on a restart.

Jeff