Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1998/05/28 22:29:58 UTC

bug report handling

Ken - I don't think a bug report should go immediately from "open" to
"feedback" asking simply "is it still happening?".  There should be some
minimal effort put in to see if the bug they are reporting is still
occuring in the latest 1.2.x or 1.3.x; and if it's not there *then* ask the
submitter to check again.  We can't just presume it's likely that the bug
was fixed, unless you know of a specific commit which might have fixed it.
Of course if the bug is still there then it gets promoted to analyzed.

	Brian

pure chewing satisfaction                                  brian@apache.org
                                                        brian@hyperreal.org

Re: bug report handling

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 06:52 PM 5/28/98 -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >Which do you prefer, a silence which shows no signs of ending,
> >or a no-op which at least lets the user know we haven't forgotten
> >the issue even if we haven't looked at it?
>
> I understand your reasoning; I guess my customer-service background
> was cringing at the implied "we don't care about your bug report"
> in the message, but then again they aren't paying us :) so asking
> them to do a little more work to let us know if the bug is still
> current might not be bad I guess.  Maybe the default text could be
> modified a bit, but I don't have any suggestions right now.

D'accord, 100%.  BTW, this rather Draconian treatment has actually
resulted in closer to half-a-dozen PRs off the open list.

I *did* reword the message to-day to add the bit about 'if there's
a newer version please try it and let us know.'  Before it didn't
even say that.  I'll update the message with anything anyone thinks is
better (within reason, of course ;-).

#ken	P-)}

Re: bug report handling

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.

Re: bug report handling

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Ken - I don't think a bug report should go immediately from "open"
> to "feedback" asking simply "is it still happening?".  There should
> be some minimal effort put in to see if the bug they are reporting
> is still occuring in the latest 1.2.x or 1.3.x; and if it's not
> there *then* ask the submitter to check again.  We can't just
> presume it's likely that the bug was fixed, unless you know of
> a specific commit which might have fixed it.  Of course if the
> bug is still there then it gets promoted to analyzed.

I didn't presume anything was fixed; I asked the submitters to verify
that it was still a problem and/or still concerned them.  We have
had PRs close after actions like this because the submitters
figured out it was their problem, fixed it, and didn't tell us.

I was only doing this to problems that haven't been touched in
months.  If we haven't touched it in more than two months, I think
it's reasonable to assume that we won't in the near future either.
So I think it's at least semi-reasonable to ask the submitter
(who's more familiar with the problem and more likely to be able
to say yea or nay quickly) to check it out.

Which do you prefer, a silence which shows no signs of ending,
or a no-op which at least lets the user know we haven't forgotten
the issue even if we haven't looked at it?

FWIW, this resulted in at least one closed problem to-day, which
made it worth my time - since that PR would have stayed open for
a few more months otherwise.

#ken	P-)}