Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Terry Erisman <te...@gridgain.com> on 2017/02/03 22:43:08 UTC

Apache Ignite Website Audit Status

Hi Igniters,

We have completed the initial stage of analyzing the Apache Ignite website.
Based on the initial review, we identified the following issues:

*	An http and https version of the site are both resolving. Neither
has a canonical tag on them.

*	Https is the one being submitted in sitemaps

*	There are no canonical tags found anywhere on the site. A
self-referencing should be implemented on every page that should be indexed
as is.
*	There is a large disparity between the sitemap pages indexed and the
total pages found in the Google index.

*	2,895 submitted in the sitemap --> 739 indexed by Google

*	Many of these are documentation javadoc pages

*	Crawl found 32,000
*	Sitemap contains 1,011
*	Index contains 2,240

*	12,200 pages found in the Google index

*	No Schema is implemented
*	No Meta Descriptions are present
*	Page Titles could use some optimizations

Based on these findings to date, we would like to do the following:

*         Create a canonical tag on the https: version of the site and
implement 301 redirects from the http: pages to the https: versions

*         Explore the issue of the sitemap and indexed pages further and
report back the findings and suggested changes at that time. It is generally
not a good situation that the site has 12,200 pages indexed by Google when
we are submitting 2,895 via the sitemap with only 739 of those are being
indexed by Google. The perfect situation would be that we submitted X pages
and Google indexed all X of those pages - we won't get to that point on a
site of this size, but we are a long way from it.

*         We will explore the issue of implementing Schema and develop a
plan for rolling it out across the website.

*         We will create a list of pages which require meta descriptions
and/or page title optimizations and begin developing recommendations for the
modifications on a page-by-page basis.

I spoke with Mauricio Stekl who volunteered to apply the required changes
and contribute them back to the Ignite website's source code. Are there any
committers who are willing to review the changes and merge them?

Our SEO audit is ongoing and we are exploring many other aspects of the
website. The above list is the first set of actionable feedback. There will
almost certainly be more.

Best,

Terry

terisman@gridgain.com <ma...@gridgain.com>

Re: Apache Ignite Website Audit Status

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi Terry,

Such a valuable feedback and analysis! Thanks for doing this.

At least I can assist Mauricio reviewing and committing the changes. Mauricio, as a contributor, you can grab the site source from here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ignite/site/trunk

—
Denis