Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2020/09/22 15:07:54 UTC

Jira version names vs Maven module names

Hi,

I am in a middle of a release (and using the committer cli [1]) and I
got stuck due to an unexpected (for the tool) version:

  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No releases found in
'slingfeature-maven-plugin-1.4.0'

To go for the quick fix, I renamed that version to 'OSGi Feature Maven
Plugin 1.4.0', matching the module name. This is quickly reversible so
I just did the change.

Of course, the tool can be changed, but there is some value IMO in
having module names and Jira version names aligned, namely:

- it is clear for users and tools what release maps to which module
- we don't have to invent a second name for the same thing :-)

I'm open to saying that version names can be arbitrary, but then we can
simplify our life by having matching names.

Thanks,
Robert

[1]: https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-committer-cli/

Re: Jira version names vs Maven module names

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 12:08 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> THanks Robert,
>
> now if I get it right you're proposing to change
>
> 'slingfeature-maven-plugin-1.4.0'

> 'slingfeature-maven-plugin 1.4.0'
>
> in Jira, correct?
>
> And revert the renaming to "OSGi Feature Maven Plugin" ?

I've now removed all traces of 'OSGi Feature Maven Plugin' from the
versions and moved to 'slingfeature-maven-plugin XXX' format.

Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
THanks Robert,

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 12:15 +0200, Konrad Windszus wrote:
> On 24. Sep 2020, at 11:58, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > We created Jira versions in the form of 'Artifact Name' 'Version'
> > for
> > quite some time, only one of them stands out by being different.
> > Just a
> > note, not something bad by itself.
>
> I would very much appreciate consistency in the naming.
> This is IMHO more important than the fact whether we use artifactId
> or artifactName.
>
> It is important for committers to know how to label things correctly.
> I myself am used to using artifact names.
> I probably wouldn't find artifact ids.
>
> As the reporters very rarely fill that field anyways, I think we use
> what works best for committers.
> And (speaking only for myself) with that in mind I would keep "OSGi
> Feature Maven Plugin" and not rename back to artifact id.

I rolled back the change until we get some consensus on how to use
version names.

I agree that version names are probably not useful very much for our
users. At best, they might fill in the 'Component' field. We are not at
a point where we are drowning in bug reports and need more structure in
the process.

My proposal would be to

a) change the name of the slingfeature-maven-plugin to 'Apache Sling
SlingFeature Maven Plugin' or 'Apache Sling Feature Maven Plugin'
b) Update the new Jira versions accordingly, e.g. 'SlingFeature Maven
Plugin 1.4.6' for the unreleased one.

I think the version name is descriptive enough for reporter that choose
to select it and also brings around consistency in how we handle Jira
versions.

Thoughts?
Robert

Re: Jira version names vs Maven module names

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.