Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@bevocal.com> on 2003/01/03 19:44:30 UTC

log4j sandbox?

Some of our discussions prior to the holiday break got me thinking,
specifically the discussion about adding new, experimental code to log4j and
the desire to allow users to contribute code to a more permanent place.

There are at least two jakarta projects that support a "sandbox" area where
newer, more experimental code can be created and submitted.  I am not
familiar with the specifics, but I wonder if something like that might
benefit this project as well.

Pros:

- newer, experimental code could go in the log4j-sandbox, and after some
time of usage and "shake down", it could be moved to the main log4j project,
based on a vote by committers.
- new code that seemed like a good idea at the time, but on second thought
should not have been released, will be kept in the sandbox area.  This
includes the new stuff we have added recently like selectors and servlets.
- code that doesn't make sense to include in the main log4j project, due to
obscurity, etc could live in the sandbox.
- the sandbox code could be released as part of the official release, in a
different jar, but with the caveats that it is sandbox level support.
- maybe we could be a bit looser with committer access to the sandbox,
allowing more users to have commit access.  Allowing patches to be applied,
etc.  I don't know if anyone has watched the commons httpclient project, but
they do almost everything through patches.  Kind of neat.

Cons:

- another cvs to maintain
- there might be more build breakages with the "looser" sandbox standards.
- confused users trying to figure out what to use and what this "sandbox"
thing is.
- ?

I don't know if the current activity level of log4j committing warrants the
creation of a sandbox.  But I do feel there is some coherent reasoning
behind keeping the core stable, but allowing for a new additions and
creativity to be shared within the community.

?

-Mark