Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com> on 2003/05/11 14:44:17 UTC

some final observations on JAI under FOP

  just for my own satisfaction, a few final comments on
getting JAI support working under FOP, since i finally
have it running nicely.

  first, as i read it, all binary downloads will come with
JAI support already built in, is this a safe bet?  and,
second, the only mandatory .jar files we need are
jai_core.jar and jai_codec.jar.  (is there any point
knowing what the other JAI files are for?  just out
of curiosity.)

  next, while the fop.sh and fop.bat scripts might
be convenient, there's nothing magical about them.

  but when it comes to building the fop.jar file,
here's a couple amusing observations.  in order to
build in JAI support, it's not necessary to put *both*
JAI files in {fop}/lib.  based on a little playing i
did, it was sufficient to have jai_core.jar there.
(although you do, of course, need to have both files
in the classpath for proper operation later.)

  in fact, it doesn't even need to be called
jai_core.jar.  i renamed it to just jai.jar, and
the support was still built in nicely.  (i'm assuming
that seeing the confirmation

  prepare-jai:
      [echo] JAI library is present.  Installing JAI support.

*does* represent confirmation.

  (renaming that jai file to "fred.jar" was apparently
more than the build could handle.  so, as i see it, the
build is flexible to the point where the file can,
what, just start with the prefix "jai" and that should
be cool?  like i said, just an amusing observation.)

  as for JIMI, well, some observations on *that* coming
shortly.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day, RHCE
Eno River Technologies, Inc.

Re: some final observations on JAI under FOP

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@mindspring.com>.
On Sun, 11 May 2003, J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   but when it comes to building the fop.jar file,
> > here's a couple amusing observations.  in order to
> > build in JAI support, it's not necessary to put *both*
> > JAI files in {fop}/lib.  based on a little playing i
> > did, it was sufficient to have jai_core.jar there.
>
> JAI is an interfase (stuff in jai_core), and there
> is a sample implementation (jai_codec). FOP compies
> against the interface, you don't execute anything
> during the build. Of course, you'll need the codec
> for operation.
> What's amusing about that?

the fact that the documentation seems to suggest that you
need *both* to simply build, which is apparently not
true, that's all.  i'm just a stickler for documentation.

rday

Re: some final observations on JAI under FOP

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   but when it comes to building the fop.jar file,
> here's a couple amusing observations.  in order to
> build in JAI support, it's not necessary to put *both*
> JAI files in {fop}/lib.  based on a little playing i
> did, it was sufficient to have jai_core.jar there.

JAI is an interfase (stuff in jai_core), and there
is a sample implementation (jai_codec). FOP compies
against the interface, you don't execute anything
during the build. Of course, you'll need the codec
for operation.
What's amusing about that?

J.Pietschmann