Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by John Menke <jm...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/05 19:04:27 UTC

strange problem losing session variables

Is anyone experiencing any problems with "lost" session variables?  We have
an application that stores some state in the session and we are getting
strange errors caused by objects that were
previously being in the session being "lost".  When our code tries to access
these variables it gives nullpointer errors.

What is strange is that the session is not being lost itself - if this was
the case the StaleSession page would appear via tapestry...

-jm

Re: strange problem losing session variables

Posted by Jason Dyer <jd...@bluetarp.com>.
Just a wild guess, but are all of the object you're storing Serializable?  I
think that some (clustering) containers require that...

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 15:06, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Sounds like your container is not able to tie the session to the client.
>
> Are cookies turned off for clients?
>
> Have a multi-domain site and the cookies are not going across domains?
>
> > Maybe synchronization glitches can be the cause? nothing prevents a user
> > from firing two concurrent requests that would both modify your session
> > objects at the same time.
> >
> > On 6/7/06, John Menke <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Peter it's definitely storing them... This problem is sporadic... we
> >> can't
> >> reproduce - only we see the errors in the log

> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Henri.

Windows and DOS -- a turtle and it's shell.

Re: strange problem losing session variables

Posted by John Menke <jm...@gmail.com>.
We are getting null values so the values are being lost it's not sync
problem.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com>.

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp>.
Hi John.

Does this still happen with caching *enabled*?

Cheers,
Nick.

Posted by John Menke <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Menke <jm...@gmail.com>.
We are using Tapestry 4

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.
Yes we have been experienced those... Are you using tapestry 3 or tapestry
4? Which servlet engine?
Since we switched to tapestry 4, we have seen way less of these...
And I'm 99% positive this has not anything to do with the code.

On 6/5/06, John Menke <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is anyone experiencing any problems with "lost" session variables?  We
> have
> an application that stores some state in the session and we are getting
> strange errors caused by objects that were
> previously being in the session being "lost".  When our code tries to
> access
> these variables it gives nullpointer errors.
>
> What is strange is that the session is not being lost itself - if this was
> the case the StaleSession page would appear via tapestry...
>
> -jm

Henri.

RE: strange problem losing session variables

Posted by Steve Shucker <ss...@vmsinfo.com>.
I've seen something like this once before involving an app designed for a
small number of large sessions.  My problem was that I was persisting my
sessions in-memory.  When there was no more memory available, my app server
(weblogic 8.1) conveniently started discarding sessions.  Turning on JDBC
session persistence and making a bunch of classes implement Serializable
fixed the problem.  I expect disk-based persistence would also have worked
fine.  I'm not sure if this problem is specific to weblogic or applies to
other app servers, though.

-Steve