Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net> on 2003/12/29 09:25:52 UTC

CVS to Subversion gateway?

I'm working on a project that's hosted on SourceForge, and there's a lot
of momentum to keep using SourceForge and CVS. I'd rather use
Subversion, but discussion so far has shot this down (and that's okay --
CVS mostly works, why change something that's broken?). I'm thinking
about running some kind of CVS to Subversion gateway, so I can use
Subversion to commit to the project and everyone else can use CVS, and
wanted to ask if anyone's done something like this before.

I've previously done this for a small team, in order to avoid using
StarTeam, but this was based on a shared checkout and manual merging.
I'd rather have some kind of automatic process that mirrored changes
from CVS immediately into SVN, and from SVN back into CVS.

I know the Linux kernel is run from a BitKeeper repository, and has at
least a BK to CVS conversion that runs overnight -- does anyone know of
a "live mirroring" mechanism?

Thanks,
Mike.

Re: CVS to Subversion gateway?

Posted by Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <as...@wxs.nl>.
-On [20031229 10:32], Mike Mason (mgm@thoughtworks.net) wrote:
>I'm working on a project that's hosted on SourceForge, and there's a lot
>of momentum to keep using SourceForge and CVS. I'd rather use
>Subversion, but discussion so far has shot this down (and that's okay --
>CVS mostly works, why change something that's broken?). I'm thinking
>about running some kind of CVS to Subversion gateway, so I can use
>Subversion to commit to the project and everyone else can use CVS, and
>wanted to ask if anyone's done something like this before.

There are some perl modules for mirroring, but nothing that has a SVN to
CVS export.  As far as I know at least.

I am still in the early stages of writing one in C.
If some clued people feel like helping I'd be happy to work together on
it. :)

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Truth is always exciting. Speak it, then. Life is boring without it...