Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Schwartz, Todd" <to...@intel.com> on 2001/04/17 21:20:09 UTC

Associating a grammar with a namespace without using schemaLocati on

Hi,

I noticed that the FAQ covers questions about caching schemas (or DTDs).
However, a more important, related capability is to associate specific
grammars with known namespaces, without relying on the "schemaLocation"
attribute in the document.  Some applications will require a tight binding
between a schema and a software module.  In such cases, the "schemaLocation"
attribute would be ignored, and the application would instead look at the
namespace declaration, load the appropriate known grammar for the known
namespace, and do the validation.

Are there plans to implement this feature in Xerces 2.  Has anyone managed
to implement this feature in Xerces 1?

Thanks,
Todd Schwartz

Re: Associating a grammar with a namespace without using schemaLocation

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
"Schwartz, Todd" wrote:
> Are there plans to implement this feature in Xerces 2.

Yes. :) In fact, I'm thinking about it right now. I would like
to re-design the validation engine before implementing it,
though, because we don't even have the Schema support plugged
into Xerces2, yet. And I'm working on this right now as well.
Without help, I don't know how long it will take me, though.

> Has anyone managed to implement this feature in Xerces 1?

It would probably be a real pain to implement this feature in
Xerces 1.x. So it's probably better to get some more people
working on Xerces2 so that we can support these types of
features.

Re: Associating a grammar with a namespace without using schemaLocati on

Posted by Ian Roberts <ir...@decisionsoft.com>.
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Schwartz, Todd wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the FAQ covers questions about caching schemas (or DTDs).
> However, a more important, related capability is to associate specific
> grammars with known namespaces, without relying on the "schemaLocation"
> attribute in the document.  Some applications will require a tight binding
> between a schema and a software module.  In such cases, the "schemaLocation"
> attribute would be ignored, and the application would instead look at the
> namespace declaration, load the appropriate known grammar for the known
> namespace, and do the validation.
>
> Are there plans to implement this feature in Xerces 2.  Has anyone managed
> to implement this feature in Xerces 1?

I've implemented it in Xerces 1.2.3 (my project is still working with
April 2000 WD schemas).  Mail me off list if you're interested.

Ian

--
Ian Roberts, Software Engineer        DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com