Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/06/14 06:19:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] Brining clirr to the ASF?

Hi,

as Jochen has pointed out, Clirr seems to be unmaintained. However we build
a good part of our release strategy upon clirr. So I wonder whether we
should foster bringing clirr to the ASF (for example by going through
incubation). We're probably not the only ASF project using Clirr.

Benedikt

Re: [DISCUSS] Brining clirr to the ASF?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 14. Juni 2016 um
08:23 Uhr:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > as Jochen has pointed out, Clirr seems to be unmaintained. However we
> build
> > a good part of our release strategy upon clirr. So I wonder whether we
> > should foster bringing clirr to the ASF (for example by going through
> > incubation). We're probably not the only ASF project using Clirr.
> >

> +1. Can we bring in code that's under GNU Lesser General Public and make it
> ASL 2?

That would be a task for incubation

> Could fit under a new Commons Build or Clirr component since it is a
> "common" build requirement.

Given the size of Clirr (base library + build tool plugins), I'd rather try
to instantiate a new TLP by going through incubation.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Thank you for the clarification, Dennis!

Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org> schrieb am Di., 14. Juni 2016
um 19:57:

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@gmail.com>.
For any Gradle users, Cédric put together a little Gradle plugin based
around the japicmp library which we use in Groovy, see here:

https://github.com/apache/groovy/blob/master/gradle/binarycompatibility.gradle

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1 to Jochen's idea and I'd love to contribute to that effort!

Posted by Uwe Barthel <ba...@x-reizend.de>.
> As Clirr is internally based on BCEL, I'd rather see us build a new
> tool on top of ASM, which is very well maintained. Besides, that would
> solve the license problem.

Sounds like a existing idea. I'm interested in to contribute.

-- barthel

Re: [DISCUSS] Brining clirr to the ASF?

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 14. Juni 2016

>> As Clirr is internally based on BCEL, I'd rather see us build a new
>> tool on top of ASM, which is very well maintained. Besides, that would
>> solve the license problem.
>>

> Sounds like a massive endeavor. Are you sure we could build that in a
> reasonable amount of time?

No. But I am quite certain, that we could maintain that, rather than
having digged a new grave for the same corpse.

Jochen

Re: [DISCUSS] Brining clirr to the ASF?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 14. Juni 2016